Legumes carb content per 100g?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I really struggle to find information of the "net" carb content of various legumes per 100g to compare. The things I find are per cup or so which do not make much sense.

Does anyone have any good resource for that?

Thanks!

mouseee

In the UK all carbs are printed on packages as is. We don't do 'net' carbs. Not helpful to you though!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just usually google whatever food I’m looking for using the words net carbs per 100g ………..
Or you could measure a cup out then weigh them so say there’s 300g in a cup you would divide by 3 to get the 100g count

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a calorie counting app (which also includes carbs) called Nutra Check

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One tip I've found helpful with legumes, beans, chickpeas, that sort of thing: if using canned, wash them thoroughly. There is tons of starch in the liquid. Same goes for prepping from dry - if I've soaked some I throw away all the excess water and then wash away the starch in running water.

Before T2 I always used to keep back the starchy liquid as it was great for thickening soups and sauces, being loaded with carb.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Legumes can be a bit weird. Some people digest them. Other people find the “pass through”.
As a result, some people find their blood glucose levels are not affected by the likes of chickpeas.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK all carbs are printed on packages as is. We don't do 'net' carbs. Not helpful to you though!!

Thanks but I do not think what you say is correct (maybe you don't know what net carbs is?)

In the UK – the number that is put on food labels is the Net carbs – so the calculation is easy.
(from https://www.thelifestyleclinic.co.uk/blog/counting-carbs-reading-labels)

1711734694576.png

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks but I do not think what you say is correct (maybe you don't know what net carbs is?)

In the UK – the number that is put on food labels is the Net carbs – so the calculation is easy.
(from https://www.thelifestyleclinic.co.uk/blog/counting-carbs-reading-labels)

View attachment 66954
I think that it's you who does not understand what @mouseee said.
As you show, in the UK our labels already subtract Fibre (fiber) from total carbs and just call that Carbs. Thus there is no 'Net Carbs' shown , nor is there any need to do any adjustment to the Carbs figure shown on the label.

Reactions: Bridget66 and Paul_

mouseee

I think that it's you who does not understand what @mouseee said.
As you show, in the UK our labels already subtract Fibre (fiber) from total carbs and just call that Carbs. Thus there is no 'Net Carbs' shown , nor is there any need to do any adjustment to the Carbs figure shown on the label.
Yes, thats exactly what I meant. No calculation required. We can just look at carbs on the label.

Reactions: Bridget66 and Paul_