Lemsip cold and flu

Diabellie8494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone had experience with lemsip sachets, my sugar spiked yet on the packaging it only says 5g of carbohydrate per sachet...?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lemsip is a marketing ploy to make you spend money, it’s paracetamol, lemon flavoured vitamin c and sugar.
Now you know it spikes you, can you cover it with a bolus? I know nothing about insulin though.

D

Deleted Account

Are you sure it is the Lemsip that has caused your spike?
If you are feeling enough under the weather to take it, there is a good chance, your liver is dumping glucose in your blood to fight off the lurgies - cold and flu typically raise BG without the assistance of drugs.

As usual, when feeling under the weather, the treatment is test, correct, test, plenty of liquid, test, correct, test, test again ... did I mention testing?

Diabellie8494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lemsip is a marketing ploy to make you spend money, it’s paracetamol, lemon flavoured vitamin c and sugar.
Now you know it spikes you, can you cover it with a bolus? I know nothing about insulin though.

Oh yeah I’ve just tested and it’s high so I’ve corrected, just wondered if anyone know the actual sugar content because I’m sure it must be more than that to spike it like it has

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How much is in one sachet in terms of weight? It cant be much so that 5g of carbs could equate to a very high amount in terms of 100g.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
P.S Get well soon.

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Lemsip sachets every time I have a cold (whether they work or not, they make me feel better at the time!) but I can't say I've ever spiked after having one. I know that when I've had a cold or flu, my levels sometimes go all over the place and I don't think anything in particular causes it apart from the fact that I'm ill.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering When I lived in UK thought lemsip and other fruit flavours were flavoured/sweetened versions of Beecham powders so as a diabetic that's what I Used. as easily dissolved etc so a convenient medicine just like most foods have a convenience version