Lentils and chick peas

Blue2

Hi all

I have just checked the carbs and cals book that suggests that lentils and chick peas may not require insulin or a reduced dose.

However comments of others on the forum suggest it spikes them.

Does anyone have any advice.

I am a type 1 pump user and don't want to spike or hypo.

Many thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They don't spike me, quite the opposite in fact. Both chick peas and lentils are low in the glycemic index, I still need to inject insulin but don't inject ahead of my food as I do with other meals, this way it prevents a postprandial hypo.

It's like everything when it comes to food and injecting, trail & error will say how much insulin (if any) you need and when to administer it.

Reactions: 2 people

Blue2

Thank you noble. I will see how I get on.

I must say tho. We did not enjoy them in our meal so probably won't be eating them again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have no issue with lentil & chick peas either...

My wife knocks up some really nice recipes with them. :cool:

Having said that I once had a "pub lunch" of lentils expecting something special & was bitterly disappointed... In fact, I left the plate.. :bigtears:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lentils, chickpeas, beans etc contain a large amount of carbohydrates called oligosaccharides and in particular prebiotics called galactoligosaccharides. This group is only partially digested by enzymes and is broken down in the gut by bacteria, hence one can get wind but that particular type of carb does not get turned into glucose. However, it is only a component part, there are others too so it does depend on how sensitive one is.

"Prebiotics are defined as non-digestible food ingredients that beneficially affect the host by stimulating the growth and/or activity of beneficial bacteria in the colon.

Because of the configuration of their glycosidic bonds, galacto-oligosaccharides largely resist hydrolysis by salivary and intestinal digestive enzymes. Therefore, they reach the end of the intestine virtually intact."

One their own, they are not much fun to eat but by the time you turn lentils into Chana Dal or Chick Peas into Chole, they are bloomin marvelous.

IMG_5467_1.JPG

Chole-Bhature-Recipe.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lentils, chickpeas, beans etc contain a large amount of carbohydrates called oligosaccharides and in particular prebiotics called galactoligosaccharides. This group is only partially digested by enzymes and is broken down in the gut by bacteria, hence one can get wind but that particular type of carb does not get turned into glucose. However, it is only a component part, there are others too so it does depend on how sensitive one is.

"Prebiotics are defined as non-digestible food ingredients that beneficially affect the host by stimulating the growth and/or activity of beneficial bacteria in the colon.

Because of the configuration of their glycosidic bonds, galacto-oligosaccharides largely resist hydrolysis by salivary and intestinal digestive enzymes. Therefore, they reach the end of the intestine virtually intact."

One their own, they are not much fun to eat but by the time you turn lentils into Chana Dal or Chick Peas into Chole, they are bloomin marvelous.

IMG_5467_1.JPG

Chole-Bhature-Recipe.jpg

Oh, stop it.. Your making me hungry! Lol:p

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They are an excellent food but do contain some digestable carbs. Some insulin will be needed but in theory they shouldn't cause spikes

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I spike with beans and chick peas, although it can be a long slow climb and a long slow descent, rather than a sudden peak.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oddly enough, either green, or maybe yellow, lentils, I'm fine with.
The other one causes a spike.
As you can tell, I can never remember which, so I just avoid both.
Chick peas, I'm fine with.
We're all different.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

IMG_5467_1.JPG

Chole-Bhature-Recipe.jpg
Some people think advertising doesn't work!
I've just gone and opened some lentils .....

Reactions: 6 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like others I find chickpeas and lentils to cause a slow rise rather than a spike - I use these far more often than potato now and absolutely love them. I also use lots of other beans and pulses - cannellini beans, borlotti beans, red kidney beans all yummy and not spiky. But I think you have to try for yourself, check after meal and then adjust for next time.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I love all things beans - I have 2 stepchildren and I cant understand why they don't like baked beans (they say they're 'furry') I thought all kids loved 'em, my own did!

Here's a great short video on the second meal effect of beans .... so hope the link works as it's very informative (my dietitian of course had never heard of this theory!)

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/beans-and-the-second-meal-effect/

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, love beans, we grow loads and dry them for the winter. Can at least still manage a small portion in a chilli or salad.