Less Insulin -21 weeks

JSmith1986

Hi everyone,

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and a type 1 diabetic. Over the last free days I've noticed a lot less movement and am also needing to take less insulin. Last week I took 7 units of nova rapid before a piece of toast and would be around 6 an hour later. Today I took 4 units and was 3.6 an hour later.

Should I be worried? I wondered whether it could be the baby having a growth spurt so taking more food and bring sleepier?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wondered whether it could be the baby having a growth spurt so taking more food and bring sleepier?

That's seems like a plausible explanation. But if youre concerned about reduced movement and an unusual change in insulin requirements it would definitely be worth getting in touch with your midwife/DSN to get checked out for your peace of mind.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I agree with catapillar you should go and get checked out we can give advice on diabetes but when it comes to pregnancy matters that's a whole different subject please get checked let us know outcome good luck and welcome to the forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and a type 1 diabetic. Over the last free days I've noticed a lot less movement and am also needing to take less insulin. Last week I took 7 units of nova rapid before a piece of toast and would be around 6 an hour later. Today I took 4 units and was 3.6 an hour later.

Should I be worried? I wondered whether it could be the baby having a growth spurt so taking more food and bring sleepier?

It could just be one of those pregnancy things so don't worry, but you should phone the triage number on the front of your maternity notes so you can go in and get checked out. Phone them now and they can check baby and hopefully put your mind at rest.

Take care XX

JSmith1986

Thank you everyone for your help! It's been a reasonably difficult week. After calling the team they said I should be concerned about decreasing needs as could be an indication of placental insufficiency - however at 21 weeks there's nothing they can do so just to keep an eye on it. After a midwife check yesterday, baby looks fine and big! My insulin needs are also on their way up. So hopefully just a little scare xxx

Reactions: azure