Let's make diet easy/ medetaranean diet

DazNE

Hi everyone this is only my second starter thread so be gentle lol.

I was diagnosed with type two a week ago and using this as a challenge to lose weight and get fit for the summer.

I noticed alot of people favour the low carb diet route, I've done this before and lost alot of weight but fell off the wagon.

I've been looking around the net and I really fancy the med diet, it's so simple basically fruit, salads, veg and lean meats, obviously watch which veg I eat but this has to be the easiest diet to follow. Basically and meat on a salad I believe I could do that.

So my plan is to have a Greek yogurt with berries for breakfast because I'm really enjoying that then a med meal for tea I don't really need lunch but if I'm hungry I will have something.

I will start to look for recipes but this will be the easy start

Reactions: AloeSvea

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@DazNE, I wish you well with your efforts and choices.
My experience with diets is that everybody must try out the different diets and find the one that suits him best. Everybody is different as will be their choices. It must be comfortable to maintain every day , not leave you screaming with hunger, keep you regular etc.The common factor with all diets is the issue of disipline, its essential for any success and even with very strict control I think that we all fall off the wagon from time to time.Just make sure that the falls are as infrequent and of as short a duration as possible. Go fot it , again I wish you all the best with your efforts.

M

Member496333

I think the Mediterranean diet means different things to different people. Many seem to think it's based largely on bread and pasta, but others say that the traditional native grub in the region was always mostly low-carb anyway. You may be interested in reading The Pioppi Diet by Aseem Malhotra. It's basically an entire book on the subject, and while not necessarily all fact, Malhotra knows his onions. Recommended reading for anyone in this space.

Reactions: DazNE

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that those who recommend the mediterranean diet have never been to the mediterranian!

It IS a very healthy eating regime - the genuine version or the made-up one - and will suit some diabetics, but certainly not all. Anyone trying to get their BG into the non-diabetic range by diet alone would be better to go low-carb. Once firmly into the non-diabetic range, there is room for cautious introduction of carbs, allied to frequent testing. We are all individuals, and some can tolerate more carbs than others.But there is no doubt that healthy food for non-diabetics is a different church from healthy diet for diabetics.

Reactions: jjraak

DazNE

Well I had a salad mixed in red wine vinegar and olive oil with Angus burgers and feta cheese, pretty low carb and I enjoyed it. Salad has never been my favourite but in the vinegar it made it tangy I really enjoyed it.

I tried to upload a photo but it's too big grrr

DazNE

Screenshot_20220217-174246~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-174246~2.png
    664.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20220217-174246~2.png
    664.1 KB · Views: 214

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had a salad mixed in red wine vinegar and olive oil with Angus burgers and feta cheese, pretty low carb and I enjoyed it. Salad has never been my favourite but in the vinegar it made it tangy I really enjoyed it.

I tried to upload a photo but it's too big grrr
With respect, that meal is only part of what would typically be served. It is not what is considered by the whole Mediterranean diet idea, it is one select component of a meal, an incomplete dish, creating the impression that the entire Mediterranean diet is low carb.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

DazNE

Well it's just based on a Greek salad, I'm only taken the low carb options of that diet and yes it's basic. I've only just started looking at options I was only diagnosed last week so just need to get started.

I know med diets have lots of sauces and breads them are some of the bits I'm gonna miss.

Basically meat and salads or low carb diets yes I get that but yes it is part of a med diet

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect, that meal is only part of what would typically be served. It is not what is considered by the whole Mediterranean diet idea, it is one select component of a meal, an incomplete dish, creating the impression that the entire Mediterranean diet is low carb.
You are not wrong, seeing as the Mediterranean has the North African country's bordering it, it has a different meal ideas to the northern side of it which are not low in carbs.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that those who recommend the mediterranean diet have never been to the mediterranian!

It IS a very healthy eating regime - the genuine version or the made-up one - and will suit some diabetics, but certainly not all. Anyone trying to get their BG into the non-diabetic range by diet alone would be better to go low-carb. Once firmly into the non-diabetic range, there is room for cautious introduction of carbs, allied to frequent testing. We are all individuals, and some can tolerate more carbs than others.But there is no doubt that healthy food for non-diabetics is a different church from healthy diet for diabetics.

The Pioppi Diet by Malhotra is a Low Carb version of Mediterranean, He is an eminent Cardiologist and he supports LC for heart health, But it works for diabetes too. It is not a keto type of diet.

As a T2D you would be well advised to go for low fruit intake since fructose is associaited with pancreatic and liver fat buildup. Avoid tropical fruit, and over ripe fruit has too much glucose in it. Fish is the strong point and provides B12, Omega 3 and other necessary nutrients in good supply.

Reactions: Megnala and DazNE