Libra Sensor

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is anyone else getting an allergic reaction when using the libre sensors? The last 3 have done exactly the same thing.

Regards
Lee

Reactions: Knikki

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is anyone else getting an allergic reaction when using the libre sensors? The last 3 have done exactly the same thing.

Regards
Lee

Oh dear. Yes, there are a large number of people with this issue, unfortunately.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-poll-have-you-had-a-skin-reaction.77681/

Lots of threads about it too, this one being one of the more useful.

Apparently Abbott are changing the glue in April, so if it's a reaction to the glue, you may find future sensors are better. Personally, I had to stop using, as the skin reaction was accompanied by completely erratic readings. Others have managed to do all sorts of things with barriers, creams etc.

Abbott know about it, but won't say how many are affected. They tend to just tell you to stop using the sensors. In your position, I'd give Abbott a call and see if you can get some sensors with the new glue formulation. They may swap for your unused sensors, or even give you a replacement if you haven't thrown away your used sensors (so quick, go fish the one you're just removed out of the bin. :)).

Good luck with the new glue. I'll probably give them another go when the new formulation reaches New Zealand, but the libre suppliers in NZ have no idea when that's happening.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Turner90 , if you search for Libre, in the search bar somewhere at the top of your screen you can find many threads on the subject.

DNLBD

This is the reaction to using the Abbott. It is Type IV Hypetsensivity Reaction. I am now on AB and steroids I hope a new adhesive is found

Attachments

• 40E7ED18-7D02-45AC-990E-D3F08A6C8B80.jpeg
    40E7ED18-7D02-45AC-990E-D3F08A6C8B80.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 193