Libre on the NHS , when instead of approved

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This moan is about the Libre meter and sensors on ther NHS , yes it can / mabe prescribed but it turns out to be another post xcode lottery. Some lucy people get it but others do not and I live in the south west?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not so sure it's a matter of post code. Rather one of condition and the proven ability to improve control with Libre.

I was fortunate to be able to demonstrate an improved level of control. I had been self funding for a few months, an was able to show that my incidents of hypos, an to an extent, hypers, was improved when using Libre. I've now had two prescriptions fulfilled and don't forsee any immediate change to that.

I also have a very specific requirement due to another medical condition which resulted in major surgery to my gastro track early this year. I won't bore you with the details but it is documented here. You wouldn't want to swap!

With normal (?) diabetes I'd suggest not relying on your GP or consultant writing a case for you, but have a documented argument that it improves your situation.

YMMV

D

Diabeticliberty

A lot of diabetics particularly type 2's cannot even get their doctor to prescribe them the most basic testing equipment. Some of them cannot afford to self fund regular blood testing equipment so they are just left with little or zero resource to manage their own condition. Complications associated with type 2 are just as relevant and just as dangerous for all of us. As a type 1 my own GP attempted to cut my standard blood testing equipment in half and I had to fight tooth and nail to maintain my regular allocation. I feel more and more type 1's will start experiencing this based on my doctors rather frank comments. The NHS has no money. Please consider this when whining because your own CCG refuse to subside your Libre. It is not lucky people who get Libre on the NHS it is patients with a clinical need. The rest of us are stuck with self funding Libre and I am fine with this. Why am I fine with this? Because the NHS has no money.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I also think that CCG's were not prepared for this when budgets for the 2017/2018 financial year were approved so I would hope that at least some people will get the opportunity to use CGM in the 2018/2019 period. I would expect those with the greatest medical need to get priority though.