Libre sensors at Superdrug

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't that mean there's no point in having the blood test, unless other tests are also included?

Originally the cholesterol test was done as part of the annual "health review" that is carried out for folks at my surgery, who are 'over a certain age'. I like to get it done because they include full bloods, HbA1C, cholesterol and usually liver & kidneys functions but they missed those off this year. I won't normally get another test till next year.

That means your cholesterol test gives your GP has no grounds for insisting on recommending statins, since for all s/he knows most of the total may be made up of HDL.

I agree, but that hasn't stopped her trying on 2 previous occasions, which I've resisted so far. I know many people are ok with statins, but because there is so much controversy about them, for the time being I'd rather not use them. In truth, I don't really want to be on any medication, but if it will help with the other issue, then I'd be willing to try metformin for a time.

I usually see the same GP, and she's fine, really, just not amenable to much discussion. Have tried a couple of the others in the practice, but they're no different, worse most of them. Never mind - I shall go very prepared, & hopefully may find that as a result I can afford to give the Libre a trial. Now that would be something !

Reactions: dbr10

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that NICE now recommends surgeries to do the non-HDL amount for use in the CVD risk assessment they do. Labs were instructed to do this. So even without any breakdown, we can work out our HDL and also the total of the LDL and trigs. What we can't do is separate the LDL and trigs.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg181/chapter/2-Implementation-getting-started

Thanks for this info, Bluetit1801, not sent to me, I know, but very helpful. I didn't get any kind of breakdown in the printout from this year's test, just the cholesterol figure; perhaps I need to ask about why that is. I'll have a read through and take this doc with me as well next week.

Reactions: dbr10