Libre troubles!!

fgawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I thought this would be a good place to find out if anyone is having the same trouble as me with their Libre sensor. Each time i put a sensor on within 1-2 days i experience itching, which obviously i can't get to as it is under the sensor. After day 4/5 the itching is so unbearable that it is waking me up in the night, i end up giving in and pulling my sensor off!! Where my sensor has been there is a red ring of little blisters and dry skin.
I always alcohol wipe my arm before use and wait for it to dry. I have used barrier cream and that didn't work.
They benefit my life/diabetes so much, it would seem such a shame to stop using them!
Was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their sensors?
I have uploaded a photo... so people can see what i mean!! Sorry its not vety pretty.

Thanks,
Fay

Attachments

• IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 283

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly you aren't the first and probably won't be the last to experience these Libre issues. There's a topic on the forum that goes into those that people have experienced and solutions. I can't find it now but I'm sure someone will be able to dig it out for you.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had pretty much that exact same reaction. Using a Compeed underneath the Libre sensor worked well for me, but only if I didn't punch a hole in it - and that led to lots of wasted sensors when they failed to penetrate through the Compeed pad.

I gave up on Libre because of the reactions and can happily say that (touch wood) I have been using Dexcom G5 for 6 months now and it does not cause any reaction or itching etc. It's also really nice to not have to carry a reader around and to simply use my iPhone.

If you don't want to switch to Dexcom you should at least give the Compeed method a try; it's what works for most people who experience the reaction. The "medium size" blister pads are the best ones. It's best to draw around the sensor on top of the Compeed and then create a small hole in the middle so that the filament can penetrate through. If you still get a reaction it's probably because of the hole, in which case you can try firing the sensor straight over the top of the Compeed but note there is a good chance it won't penetrate through ....