Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most strange as so many of us are buying them....I hope they don't stop making them,.....I'd be lost without them now

Maybe we need a bit of a reality check here? Lidl's philosophy is to provide decent quality food to a price-point, but I'm sure we'd all agree their range of any category we care to think of is more limited than Asda, Tesco, Morrison's or Sainsuby's, so there will be constant reviews on store and item MI going on. I know "we" all love them, but we're hardly representative of our local town communities at large. The rolls have a certain taste, and from memory around 10p more, per item, than other bread rolls, so that may be an issue? If you were not "forced" to modify your eating patterns, would you really wholly give up the other, cheaper options in favour of these rolls?

I'm absolutely not saying that this isn't a great shame, if true, but I could appreciate how the situation could arise. If indeed it looks like they won't be so freely available, maybe more have to be bought and frozen to maximise what we have at the moment.

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe we need a bit of a reality check here? Lidl's philosophy is to provide decent quality food to a price-point, but I'm sure we'd all agree their range of any category we care to think of is more limited than Asda, Tesco, Morrison's or Sainsuby's, so there will be constant reviews on store and item MI going on. I know "we" all love them, but we're hardly representative of our local town communities at large. The rolls have a certain taste, and from memory around 10p more, per item, than other bread rolls, so that may be an issue? If you were not "forced" to modify your eating patterns, would you really wholly give up the other, cheaper options in favour of these rolls?

I'm absolutely not saying that this isn't a great shame, if true, but I could appreciate how the situation could arise. If indeed it looks like they won't be so freely available, maybe more have to be bought and frozen to maximise what we have at the moment.
I hear what you're saying but still maintain it is very odd how they are freely available (and very popular) at some stores and not available at others. The oddest part is that Lidl don't even list them on their bread roll section online but they are indeed available in many stores. In answer to your question would I give up a cheaper option if I didn't 'have to'?....I have to say I would still buy the Lidl rolls as they are to me the best and tastiest roll I have had in a long, long time....filling and satisfying on every level

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear what you're saying but still maintain it is very odd how they are freely available (and very popular) at some stores and not available at others. The oddest part is that Lidl don't even list them on their bread roll section online but they are indeed available in many stores. In answer to your question would I give up a cheaper option if I didn't 'have to'?....I have to say I would still buy the Lidl rolls as they are to me the best and tastiest roll I have had in a long, long time....filling and satisfying on every level

"Very popular" is quite a subjective comment and who knows what they are popular by comparison with.

I must admit that I would probably not have sampled these particular rolls, had I not read the feedback on here. They're not entirely pleasing to my eye, even though I would willingly eat a decent rye bread, which of course, is dark.

Obviously, it makes sense for anyone who would like to eat these on a regular basis to lobby their local store, but when I see what goes into the little brown bags when I'm in there, I don't see a stampede to the protein rolls, but maybe more folks lingering around the doughnuts and ciabatta.

I hope you manage to maintain your supply.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with @AndBreathe, all businesses work on Supply and Demand and if the turnover isn't there they will soon withdraw the product, didn't this happen last year with Waitrose when they withdrew the Liflife (low-carb bread) when it failed to take off, I think its now back in stock but people have to be buying the products in order for them to remain on the shelves.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only state with some conviction that in my particular store they remain popular and sell out frequently...only to be replaced by fresh batches as the body builder/weight training sorts also eat them for their protein content. I will happily continue to eat them for however long they are in stores and after asking in store this morning I was assured there is no plan to discontinue making them :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Finally found these this morning, had one for dinner, no affect on my bg at all and its hugeeeeee, was being greedy eating the whole one, I now know that half will do me lol x

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally found these this morning, had one for dinner, no affect on my bg at all and its hugeeeeee, was being greedy eating the whole one, I now know that half will do me lol x
Glad you found them at last. I just had a whole one for lunch too...and it was so yummy I don't care if it was greedy :D

Reactions: 4 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picked up more rolls today, they are so good!!! Bought some peanut butter too, that'll be breakfast sorted tomorrow morning

Reactions: 3 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Picked up more rolls today, they are so good!!! Bought some peanut butter too, that'll be breakfast sorted tomorrow morning
You're becoming an addict....welcome to my world haha...I love them too :p

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that really bad though? Having with peanut butter?
Well it's a lot of protein as the rolls are high protein and so is peanut butter but saying that I had a whole one at lunchtime with 2 boiled eggs (protein too) and mayo and had no reaction on my bg so unless you get bad readings from protein normally, it should be fine....and I will be adding that idea to my lunchtime menu so if it's bad I'll go down with you lol....:D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm thinking half a roll, cut vertically, could be opened out into an easy to hold, good sized pocket.

Ready for filling with all sorts of goodies...

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm thinking half a roll, cut vertically, could be opened out into an easy to hold, good sized pocket.

Ready for filling with all sorts of goodies...
Sheer genius :D...possibilties for fillings are endless :D

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to work away from home yesterday and checked out a Lidl - they were in stock, so I bought 12! Loads in their bakery section, so I haven't deprived any other Blackpoolers! Yet to try one as I only finished ND last Wednesday and this is the first opportunity to access a Lidl store (nearest is over 30 miles away).

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to work away from home yesterday and checked out a Lidl - they were in stock, so I bought 12! Loads in their bakery section, so I haven't deprived any other Blackpoolers! Yet to try one as I only finished ND last Wednesday and this is the first opportunity to access a Lidl store (nearest is over 30 miles away).
At last you found some..:) If you are at all sensitive to bread maybe try half of one first. I got big spikes from even Burgen bread but can now eat these without any raise at all in my BG.....in fact lunch today is a roll with Boursin cheese and crispy bacon :D Hope you find them as yummy as I do. I think you might be making that 30 mile journey more often :D

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi cant get them at my local don`t know if that is they don`t stock them or they have just run out ,would love to try them ,getting fed up with wholemeal bread:(