1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Life with Libre

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by maglil55, Mar 28, 2017.

1. barrym

barrym LADA · Well-Known Member

Somebody posted here that he showered when that happened and flushed that hole out. I don't know what it's for, but is meant to be a hole and not full of congealed blood.

2. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fear not, it isn't full of congealed blood. I was at swimming today and I'd cleaned it anyway. From the look of Google it's happened a few times and apparently it doesn't interfere with the operation of the sensor.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

3. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

IMHO it is a lot less painful than a single finger prick test. You do not put a needle in an out - there is a spring loaded device that you apply and it presses on for you and just guides it in. I honestly never feel any more pain than a small finger prick and it is only once every 14 days and not 10 times every day. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. maglil55

Got to agree. Before I was converted to Libre I'd had a couple of seriously high , unexplained jumps and I was having to do a lot....and I mean lot of testing. My poor fingertips were a mess. Libre was a relief and gave my fingertips a rest.

5. maglil55

Well despite the bleed through the sensor, I'm glad to say the out of date sensor activated no problem. I've carried out my first comparison and it is measuring 1.4 under the finger prick at 15 mins. However, my BGs are currently falling and I have found with Libre that there tends to be a wider gap when they are on the fall. Will be carrying out more checks over the next 2 days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. maglil55

2nd check. Waited until pre dinner as I haven't eaten since breakfast and BGs pretty stable. Getting closer - now 0.6 under.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

7. maglil55

8. barrym

barrym LADA · Well-Known Member

I have said it before, I love the Libre for convenience, but accuracy? I'm seriously thinking of quitting using it. Yesterday I had a period of inexplicably high BG, and the meter to Libre discrepancy was nearly two! The meter being the higher, but earlier in the day while in range the difference was about one, and the other way

Coincidentally seeing my consultant today so will discuss pro/cons of potential better control against accuracy with her.

9. maglil55

10. maglil55

And we're still 0.5 under. This out of date sensor is doing fine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. charliebarker

charliebarker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've had similar reasons - i was wondering whether the meter can't cope with rapid changes or whether it's the libre......I only get big discrepancies when I'm running on adrenaline and am quite jittery and stressed and then the finger prick is always higher than the libre.

12. maglil55

We'll this out of date sensor ends tomorrow and it has been pretty much trouble free. It was a bleeder to start. First time ever I've had blood coming through the sensor and running down my arm but it cleaned up fine with antiseptic wipes. All the way through it's been about 0.5/ 0.7 under probably because it was a bleeder.
    Surprisingly despite the blood flow it remained firmly attached although as usual I've had Tegaderm on for my many swimming sessions.
    The only 'annoying' thing is having become bug free and reverted to lower levels I've been getting more than a few low glucose warnings today. Lowest it registered was 3.3 but I checked and I was at 4. It is a bit irritating as I must admit the red result and the low glucose is enough to make me stab to make sure.
    Main thing is it worked fine and it wasn't £47 wasted.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook