Lipids in LCHF

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've just been to get my blood test. I was meant to have my blood sugars checked aswell but the nurse stupidly didn't include that but that's another story. I've been on a keto diet for 2 and a half months now which I've been fairly strict on but there have been a few occasions where I slipped. I have also got kebabs or Indians once a week but I kept it low carb but it makes me wonder what effect this will have on my result. I eat a lot of cheese on this diet and other saturated fat. Would this have a negative impact on my result? I guess I'm just fearing the worst. But is there any reason I'll have high cholesterol on a diet and what actually causes it to be high in the first place?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't we wait until you have the results of this "test".
Whatever it is (I'll take a guess at a full lipid panel and if so did you fast beforehand?) we can analyse what the results say.
Do you have a previous test result to check against?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been to get my blood test. I was meant to have my blood sugars checked aswell but the nurse stupidly didn't include that but that's another story. I've been on a keto diet for 2 and a half months now which I've been fairly strict on but there have been a few occasions where I slipped. I have also got kebabs or Indians once a week but I kept it low carb but it makes me wonder what effect this will have on my result. I eat a lot of cheese on this diet and other saturated fat. Would this have a negative impact on my result? I guess I'm just fearing the worst. But is there any reason I'll have high cholesterol on a diet and what actually causes it to be high in the first place?

Have you made arrangements to have your HbA1c done?

You will just have to wait and see what the results are. None of us can predict them for you, but I do advise you to obtain the full breakdown of your cholesterol (HDL/LDL and triglycerides).

Most of us find our levels improve when eating low carb/high fat. Mine certainly did. Sometimes the LDL goes up, but as long as the HDL and trigs are optimal, that is all that really matters.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you made arrangements to have your HbA1c done?

You will just have to wait and see what the results are. None of us can predict them for you, but I do advise you to obtain the full breakdown of your cholesterol (HDL/LDL and triglycerides).

Most of us find our levels improve when eating low carb/high fat. Mine certainly did. Sometimes the LDL goes up, but as long as the HDL and trigs are optimal, that is all that really matters.
Thought it was my turn today?

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@Lawrencepa For most people on low carb their lipids improve but some people are what's known as hyper responders. I can really recommend you watch this video of Dave Feldman

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve done it two ways. One was higher animal fat. Lots of beef, lamb, bison, chicken thighs. And one was more mono fats like avocado, olive oil, mayo, nuts and seeds and leaner proteins and fish

As @Bluetit1802 said in both cases my HDL was high, trigs lower and LDL a bit higher.
On the animal fat my total was 300 ( us) and mono 202. However in both cases my ratios were ALL ideal. That’s the only thing I look at. Keeping HDL high and trigs low generally means light fluffy heart protective LDL rather than small partical artery clogging. And that’s the story I’m sticking to.

Side note. My dad had low cholesterol and has had 3 heart attacks and a pace maker. My mom has high cholesterol ( carb hound) and is perfectly healthy.
I am for high HDL and ideal ratios. Carbs do nothing good for that IMO and for ME.