liver disease concern, newly diagnosed.

kyover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm 35 and recently diagnosed with type 2.
Have just started on metformin and the side effects are awful. Doctor says they gradually go away so actually I'm more concerned about having to be on meds in the long term. My family has a history of liver diseases and as I know the liver is the organ that processes drugs.

Wondering if anyone here shares similar concern? Is there anything we can do to prevent more harm to our body? Any food or supplements we can take?

Would be grateful for suggestions. Thanks!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. It is possible to manage your diabetes withoit medication. A lot of us here follow the LCHF way of eating which helps to bring your BS down. If you dont already have a meter it would be a good idea to get one so you can see what foods spike you. The forums are a great place to get answers to youe questions, there are a lot of helpful people here so dont be afraid to ask.

kyover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying!
My doc went straight to giving me meds :S
Is this normal then?

Meanwhile, I'll look up LCHF too. Thanks :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes unfortunately it is normal, they shove you the pills and send you on your way, job done. I share your sentiments about the damage pills may cause and I try to stay away from them if I can. When I was diagnosed in Feb '14 my HbA1c was 100, 3 months later it was 52 and in Jan '15 it was 44. Im due for my next test at the end of this month so Im hoping it will be in the 30's somewhere. I started by gradually reducing my carbs and I have only started going very low carb since the beginning of the year which is why having a meter is essential, without one you have no idea if you are making progress in getting your BS lower and as I found out last week I can tolerate a big bar of chocolate more than I can a small potato, go figure! Ive found most if my LCHF recipes on Pinterest, theres a low carb swap for almost everything.

Halirez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Could you please tell us what side effects?
I'm also taking Metformin and would like to know about it.
Best wishes

Reactions: LadyLovely

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on Metformin I used to get stomach cramps and diarhea(dont think thats spelt right)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm 35 and recently diagnosed with type 2.
Have just started on metformin and the side effects are awful. Doctor says they gradually go away so actually I'm more concerned about having to be on meds in the long term. My family has a history of liver diseases and as I know the liver is the organ that processes drugs.

Wondering if anyone here shares similar concern? Is there anything we can do to prevent more harm to our body? Any food or supplements we can take?

Would be grateful for suggestions. Thanks!

Obviously, I have no idea of the type of liver disease your family tends to suffer from, so please take my next comment as a general comment, not specifically suggesting this would, should or necessarily could happen for you.

Many people diagnosed with T2 diabetes find they have fatty liver, to a degree. Some are impacted more than others, obviously. Furthermore, many people find that as they get their blood sugars under control, and trim up a bit, if they have excess poundage, their liver test results improve. I am testament to this phenomenon.

To repeat, I have no way of knowing what sort of disease your family suffer from, but your diabetes may in some ways help you take positive steps for your liver health too.

Yes, I usually try to find the silver lining in these situations. :D

kyover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Halirez I'm in my second week of metformin and it just makes me feel tired all day long and not want to eat much

@4ratbags May I know how long were you on metformin?

@AndBreathe One of my family members have NAFLD and a close relative had liver cancer. My liver is fine for now (touch wood) but having seen how liver failure tortures people, I just want to stay away from anything that could possibly wreck my liver including meds

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Metformin for 10 months. 850 morning and night and 500 at lunchtime.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had come on the forum from the beginning I most probably would not have been on them that long. It took me a long time to get my head around it all especially as no one else in our household eats the way I do so I couldnt just clean the cupboards out and get rid of all the biscuits, chips ect

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Halirez I'm in my second week of metformin and it just makes me feel tired all day long and not want to eat much

@4ratbags May I know how long were you on metformin?

@AndBreathe One of my family members have NAFLD and a close relative had liver cancer. My liver is fine for now (touch wood) but having seen how liver failure tortures people, I just want to stay away from anything that could possibly wreck my liver including meds

I'm sorry to hear of the serious nature of your family member's liver issues.

I must admit, I am also anti-meds where I can possibly avoid them, and I have been extremely fortunate to be able to manage my diabetes, without any medication. At diagnosis, my GP and I agreed I would have a period without medication to try to make improvements, and for me, that worked. That's not possible for everyone, and for those with symptoms at diagnosis, sometimes Metformin is a sensible step.

Whether we are taking medication or not, what we eat, or don't eat makes a tremendous difference to how we do with out diabetes. Almost without exception, T2s find that cutting the obviously sweet (sweets, cakes, desserts, fizzy drinks for example) things is imperative, but also most of us find we need to take action on the other carbohydrates we eat. By that I mean, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals. Most of us find we either have to give them up completely, or significantly cut down our portion sizes and frequency of consumption.

But, the only way you're going to get an idea of what makes a difference to you is to test your blood sugars as you go. Most T2s are not prescribed a meter and strips by our GPs, so we have to fund them ourselves, but by being sensible in the product choices, the costs can be contained. Most of us use the SD Codefree meter and strips from Homehealth UK, here:

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

It's by far the cheapest option I have found.

By regular testing you can see how you're doing as you go, and minimise your chances of being on long term medication. Many people have been able to reduce and come off Metformin by paying attention to their diet, so it has to be a serious consideration for you.

Good luck with it all, and keep asking questions. It's what most of us did when newly diagnosed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Age 35 is quite low to be diagnosed as T2. Can you let us know your BMI/weight and typical diet. If you are not overweight then T1 becomes a possibility so let us know and we can provide further guidance. Metformin is notorious for causing stomach problems but for most these only last a week or two. If they continue do ask the GP to change you to the Slow Release (SR) version. They don't prescribe it to start with 'cos it's a bit more expensive (silly, yes). Do read the Metformin leaflet. I think it can conflict with liver problems so discuss with the GP if needed. If you are not overweight and possibly T1 then Metformin isn't needed and other tablets can be used.

kyover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreathe Thanks for all the useful info! Much appreciated!! I've cut down on sweets long ago so that won't be a prob for me but cutting carbs will not be easy. My husband's Chinese, so rice is a big part of what we eat ... Finally got a meter and will def monitor my BS regularly from now on

@Daibell Hello! My BMI is around 24.5 and we usually eat Chinese food (rice everyday) at home. I have to admit I have been overweight all my life until two yrs ago when I moved to HK (it's too hot to have too much fat!). I saw a dietitian back then and managed to regain normal weight, but I guess it was too late and the damage was done :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Thanks for all the useful info! Much appreciated!! I've cut down on sweets long ago so that won't be a prob for me but cutting carbs will not be easy. My husband's Chinese, so rice is a big part of what we eat ... Finally got a meter and will def monitor my BS regularly from now on

@Daibell Hello! My BMI is around 24.5 and we usually eat Chinese food (rice everyday) at home. I have to admit I have been overweight all my life until two yrs ago when I moved to HK (it's too hot to have too much fat!). I saw a dietitian back then and managed to regain normal weight, but I guess it was too late and the damage was done :(

Kyover, I can appreciate how the cultural differences may impact on your family dietary preferences. I have always been able to eat modest portions of rice without tooooo much impact on my bloods, but to be honest, when my OH is away from home (and he is quite a bit), then I just don't bother doing rice for myself. If I am having curry, or something sauce based, I still have that, but serve it in a with a suitable vegetable accompaniment, or use a bowl, so that I'm not chasing the sauce around a flat plate!

Many people who are committed to reducing their carbohydrate consumption use substitutes for rice and pasts. For pasta, it tends to be courgette made into noodles with a potato peeler, or spaghetti with a julienne peeler or spiraliser, and for rice, caluliflower either grated or run through the grater on a food processor makes an astonishingly astonishingly acceptable rice substitute; especially where the rice is a filler and carrier, as it might be with a curry.

There are loads and loads of recipes around, and googling cauliflower rice could be useful for you? But, if there's something you really, really fancy, just goole "low carb whatever you fancy" and see just how many options it brings up. This link is my results for "low carb fried rice": https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...e=UTF-8#q=low carb chicken fried rice&es_th=1