Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry to be dumb but I have searched for this term, liver dump and found many mentions but no definitive explanation. I gather it is not a good thing so I need to know why and how to avoid it. Thanks in advance folks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A liver dump is when our livers dump glucose into our blood stream. This is intended to stop us from starving in times of fasting, and to give us extra energy in times of need, such as when exercising. It is nature's way of keeping our glucose levels from dropping too low and keeping our base levels stable.

Many on here have tried many different methods of keeping the morning liver dump down, but few are successful with this. If you search for some older threads about this (also called dawn phenomenon) you will see what has been tried. Personally, I quite like my liver looking after me, but my liver dumps have never been too significant.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the old days, many, many years ago, we had to hunt for our food. We were more likely to find food if we could run fast, this needed glucose….

Therefore our bodies may increase glucose level when it wants us to find food like before breakfast.

Reactions: spook_kate_

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's not a good thing? The level releases glucose to maintain blood glucose levels that keep you alive. Why would you want to stop it from doing its job?
@phonic2k
I have read a few comments from members complaining about liver dump so I thought I'd ask.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In a fully functioning body there are multiple feedback loop systems keeping things in balance. So taking in glucose or getting it from the liver will be balanced by insulin. Problem Congress when one party of the system is missing as in insulin from the pancreas.
Liver dump is also useful in emergencies as it's what's triggered by a glucagon injection.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are different types of liver dumps.

I have never had a high fasting number. Right from first testing after diagnosis I have been in the 5s. My problem began some 10 to 15 minutes after the fasting test when I would start to rise to the 6s. I only discovered this last year when I started to use a Libre sensor. It's a difficult liver dump to track because breakfast gets in the way if any carbs are involved.

I do feel for people who wake up to high fasting numbers and I understand why they want to control this somehow. I usually advise them to test before bed and during the night should they happen to wake up. This could help them discover what sort of time their liver starts to dump. In some people it could be at some point in the middle of the night, and in some it may just be a brief surge as soon as they wake up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get that too. But now it’s goes up to 5s and then is goes down to 4s, and if it goes too low it goes up again. I used to do extra exercis if it was high in the mornings and made sure I never went to bad above 5s, but doing exercise. It’s not an quick fix and need I keep it up to see results, but it works.

I solved it by eliminating my soft boiled egg and cup of tea, and having a coffee with cream as soon as I get up, with no strenuous exercise before lunch (just a walk). Now I am flat all morning with improved levels before lunch.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You solved it by not eating? eggs do not have carbohydrates and the body needs it in the food you eat or you end up with higher blood glucose.

I’ve found it best to eat balanced(fat,protein and carbohydrate) meals 4-5 hours apart and exercise 1 hour after eating.

Doing morning exercise will indeed help with levels not just before lunch but after too, in helping reverse insulin resistance as it’s much higher in the morning due to sleeping all night. I used to do lots of exercise in the mornings to try and over come the silly insulin resistance, it takes time.... but it’s a long term solution that works to fix the issue.

Yes, I solved it by not eating.. The cream in the coffee solved it. The boiled egg probably wasn't enough fat. I have been doing this over 3 years and experimented with different breakfasts and methods. The coffee & cream works for me. No actual food from the previous evening meal until lunch time. A form of intermittent fasting if you like.

Reactions: Robbity