Looking for inspiration

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning! Just to say I'm still trying to cope with a low-carb diet and I find reading your posts so helpful. I often feel overwhelmed. I have a fair amount of stress in my life and trying to watch my carb intake and monitor my blood sugar on top of everything else often feels like just too much hassle. When I'm feeling low I have a look at your stories and feel hopeful that I can actually get a grip on my diabetes again. Thanks for sharing your stories

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning! Just to say I'm still trying to cope with a low-carb diet and I find reading your posts so helpful. I often feel overwhelmed. I have a fair amount of stress in my life and trying to watch my carb intake and monitor my blood sugar on top of everything else often feels like just too much hassle. When I'm feeling low I have a look at your stories and feel hopeful that I can actually get a grip on my diabetes again. Thanks for sharing your stories

hi there, if you are finding yourself spinning plates, but fearful of dropping one, then my suggestion would be as far as your T2 is concerned, concentrate on simple, low carb meals - meat and veg or meat and salad, Greek yoghurt and berries, that sort of thing.

On that basis, you are unlikely to need to count carbs, then test your bloods periodically.

I know when I was at the start of my journey, I used to find testing my bloods before eating was simple enough, but the 2 hours after eating could be a more moveable feast. If you are on tried and tested meals, there's no real need to put yourself through the mill for every meal.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sixpence, yes it's all a bit confusing to start with, especially when we're swimming against the tide of "scientific" and society's opinions all the time. Luckily Mrs DeeJay is very supportive so I was able to cut away the baggage of confusion and go for "low carbs" as my mantra.
Many of us however are surrounded by influencers from family to food industry trying to make us conform. So what to do? The best we can. There will be times when eating too many carbs is unavoidable, unless you live alone in a cave. We write off that occasional wedding reception, party or restaurant meal and start again. If you travel a lot and go on holiday, make it a challenge, not an ordeal. It can give you a real sense of achievement in an unhappy world. Be kind to yourself and keep coming back to us to enjoy the real deal.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: jjraak and Sixpence

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If about to attend a social invitation where it is likely you will be given a hard time when you want to avoid carbs, it is very helpful to eat before you go.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Sixpence

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
Thanks for your replies. I'm not new to low-carbing but I seem to struggle with it. It's not that I want to live on cake, sweets, biscuits etc because I don't have a sweet tooth but I am bored with low-carb meals and I need to get more variety in my diet. I find this Forum a godsend when I'm feeling fed up with it all

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....We write off that occasional wedding reception, party or restaurant meal and start again.

If you travel a lot and go on holiday, make it a challenge, not an ordeal. It can give you a real sense of achievement in an unhappy world. Be kind to yourself and keep coming back to us to enjoy the real deal.

Couldn't agree more.

Be such a shame if in our attempts to prevent any damage type 2 might do, we lost sight of the fact there's a life still to lived

With a hundred thousand ways to enjoy & fill our lives, that would be a shame to miss out on, before our own little curtain closes.

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't agree more.

Be such a shame if in our attempts to prevent any damage type 2 might do, we lost sight of the fact there's a life still to lived

With a hundred thousand ways to enjoy & fill our lives, that would be a shame to miss out on, before our own little curtain closes.
So true!

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies and your support. I think I'm just overwhelmed with life at the moment and my HbA1c had increased at my last review earlier this year which has me thinking I need to try harder with my diet. I've started trying to eat to my meter but I'm finding it hard to work out what foods are spiking my BG. It's seven years since my diagnosis and I'm worn out with thinking about my diet because I have food intolerances too. I've just got to keep going - one day at a time.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although there is a lot of advice on eating small portions, I find it easier just to cut out high carb foods, and then eat anything else - although I avoid seed oils and low fat variants as they seem to be rather negative foods.
We need protein and fats - even saturated ones as they are the building blocks of a human body. Hormones in particular can be reduced or altered by there being insufficient raw material to make them.