Loss,of funding

cwv2hull

I recived a letter from my pump clinic to say that they are stopping the pump funding due to missed appointments can they do this or is it just scaremongering tatics
Has anyone else been thru this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I believe they can "choose the most appropriate care".
If a course of treatment requires reviews, they can decide you may not be on the best course of treatment appropriate to your circumstances if you don't attend the reviews.
Or at least that's the official line here.
If you're a no show, and repeatedly miss appointments without notice, they also tend to discharge you as well, and you get the level of care they feel you can commit to.
It's again justified by "appropriate care".

Appeal, but you're going to have to convince them iI's worth them spending the money now.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it, if you miss your appointments at the diabetes clinic, they are within their rights to discharge you back to the care of your GP. GPs cannot deal with insulin pumps, so you will need to come off your insulin pump as you get handed back to the GP's care.

Did you have good reasons for missing your appointments? If so, contact them as soon as possible to explain. Insulin pumps cost the NHS a fortune, as do missed diabetes clinic appointments. If you do not demonstarte a clear committment to your diabetes management and health, they will take you off the pump.

Smidge

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I recived a letter from my pump clinic to say that they are stopping the pump funding due to missed appointments can they do this or is it just scaremongering tatics
Has anyone else been thru this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
In answer to your question, yes your clinic can and have revoked your funding, due to lack of participation in your care package, which you signed up for when first given your pump. Bottom line is as the consultant signed to say you were a fit person to have a pump and you are under his or her care then he or she could be deemed liable if something went wrong.
If you do not wish to attend pump or diabetes clinics then ask your GP if your care can be done via him or her. This is possible because my care comes from my GP and the bods that fund now instead of PCT's just pay the bill to the pump company. I do not attend any hospital clinic.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I would just get in touch with either your GP or your clinic as quickly as possible and sort it out. You can go to your GP for your care if you want to, I only see the nurse at the GP's she takes my blood and keeps a note of my BGs for stuff like renewing driving license etc. Recently I got her to approve the CGM (although I'm self funded) I never get letters telling me to make appointments I just go at least once a year and everythings fine. She's lovely and understands I know more than she does so just lets me get on with it. I really did not get on with the hosptal consultant so was discharged several times from the clinic.
Don't ignore the letter but there are several ways to deal with it. Don't be feeling guilty either, pumps do cost a lot of money but they cost far less than those who have complications because they never got to try one, so in the long term they do save more money than they cost.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
why would you miss your appointments if you take your diabetes seriously?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
why would you miss your appointments if you take your diabetes seriously?
Well, just because he's been unable or has forgotten about a few appointments (the letters do get sent out sometimes about 6 months in advance) doesn't mean they don't take it seriously! They may be absolutely fine have great control with a lot going on at the minute you don't know and it's not really fair to judge! The only reason I go to any appointments is to make sure my driving license is kept valid etc I don't relly need to know my HbA1C as I can have a pretty accurate guess from my meter readings, otherwise feeling fine, going doesn't help my control or teach me anything. It just lets people tick some boxes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well, just because he's been unable or has forgotten about a few appointments (the letters do get sent out sometimes about 6 months in advance) doesn't mean they don't take it seriously! They may be absolutely fine have great control with a lot going on at the minute you don't know and it's not really fair to judge! The only reason I go to any appointments is to make sure my driving license is kept valid etc I don't relly need to know my HbA1C as I can have a pretty accurate guess from my meter readings, otherwise feeling fine, going doesn't help my control or teach me anything. It just lets people tick some boxes.

I do agree with you, however you can't make a clinic appointment you should at least inform them, I'm assuming the OP missed them without explanation hence the withdrawal of funding.

I think CarbsRok explains it very well why they would have come to this decision.