Lots of variability in blood sugar

nik.shah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m 25 and a type1 diabetic - diagnosed for 13 years. I have a lot of variability in my sugar constantly going within an hour from 4 to 9. It’s rarely a flat line. Is this normal? My time in target is good at around 85% between 4-10 but it just changes soo rapidly.

Please help advise me. How can I keep it more flat

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is normal in some situations, for example after eating/drinking rapidly-digested carbs, or when you have an adrenaline rush.

If it is happening at other times then it is probably worth investigating further.

If these are glucometer readings it is possible your meter is giving false readings or your hands are not clean.

If your TIR is good, maybe you are stressing unnecessarily. Why is this such a concern for you? Is it forcing you to be hypervigilant because it happens seemingly at random?

nik.shah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much. This helps me feel a lot more reassure. In my case it happens often after eating – both fast and slow acting carbs. The only thing that helps is high-fat meals.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The usual solutions are to change insulins (Fiasp, Lyumjev and inhaled Afrezza are the fastest-acting), take insulin earlier prior to eating, or use intramuscular injections.

These things can increase the risk of hypos—especially if you eat a high fat meal, so you may need to vary your approach based on the amount of fat in your meal.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Inhaled Afrezza isn't available in the uk @mentat and this is where @nik.shah lives.

Afrezza isn't available in my country either but Mannkind put me in touch with Tanner Pharmaceuticals who organised a supply for me through the appropriate channels in collaboration with my endo. I presume the UK has some equivalent scheme. It's not cheap, but it sure is nice to cut back on needles.

• Informative
Reactions: Hopeful34

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
how fast is your bg changing? To be honest, I always thought that this was normal, because even my healthy friends after eating bg could reach almost 10, but very quickly returned to normal

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your blood sugars are changing in the absence of food and exercise, it would suggest your basal needs adjusting.
When was the last time you did a basal test?