AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Came across this recipe for cabbage on the Lakeland blog - sounds delicious and would be a lovely alternative to coleslaw at a BBQ even though it's a hot dish

http://www.blog.lakeland.co.uk/keralan-cabbage/

Looks delicious.

The recipe misses adding the coconut, but I'm thinking that'll probably be with the cabbage and carrot.

I'm sure the core of this recipe would be grate for almost any leftover veg, like green beans, which would only take a few minutes to bring back to life.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I

Looks delicious.

The recipe misses adding the coconut, but I'm thinking that'll probably be with the cabbage and carrot.

I'm sure the core of this recipe would be grate for almost any leftover veg, like green beans, which would only take a few minutes to bring back to life.
It's at the end of the recipe - with the chilli about a minute off the end of cooking, green beans is a great idea but think I would miss out the carrot with the green beans

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm maybe rather liking this one: http://www.blog.lakeland.co.uk/spinach-ricotta-pasta-tart/

Obviously the pastry is tricky to say the least, so I'd try using minimal filo sheets to enclose the filling, so I guess it would be a bit like Spanakopita.

I bought some filo sheets recently but I didn't realise they were frozen, so I'd have to use the whole packet quite quickly! If you use it for a quiche would you use just the one layer or more? I've never used it before.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some filo sheets recently but I didn't realise they were frozen, so I'd have to use the whole packet quite quickly! If you use it for a quiche would you use just the one layer or more? I've never used it before.

I guess it depends how much pastry you actually want, or can tolerate for that matter. For me, it would be about using as little as possible, but just having a bit of a "wrapper" to control a softer or crumbly filling.

For things like this, I would tend to be batch cooking anyway, so using it up wouldn't be too much of an issue, as it could be frozen again, once cooked.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's at the end of the recipe - with the chilli about a minute off the end of cooking, green beans is a great idea but think I would miss out the carrot with the green beans

Thanks. You are, of course correct. :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess it depends how much pastry you actually want, or can tolerate for that matter. For me, it would be about using as little as possible, but just having a bit of a "wrapper" to control a softer or crumbly filling.

For things like this, I would tend to be batch cooking anyway, so using it up wouldn't be too much of an issue, as it could be frozen again, once cooked.

I've not had pastry since i started low carbing but I don't expect I can tolerate much, bread is right out for me. So one layer would be enough to hold it together? I want to make some quiches.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had pastry since i started low carbing but I don't expect I can tolerate much, bread is right out for me. So one layer would be enough to hold it together? I want to make some quiches.
You could do crustless quiches (just as the name suggests. You can achieve the shape and depth using muffin tins - well greased, or silicone makes sense for easy removal.

I think,one sheet would be enough, provided the filling wasn't too wet, and the container held whatever shape I wanted to make.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
My wife does a beautiful cabbage dish. Steam equal parts if spring and white cabbage, with some shredded sprouts. Grill six rashers of streaky bacon until crispy, then cut into bits. add as much or as little butter as wanted, then mix all together.

Reactions: 2 people