Low blood pressure

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,
Has anybody experienced low blood pressure during their pregnancy? I've had a couple of spells now resulting in me nearly passing out. Today I was sat down at work while the children were building their Eco houses (I'm a teacher) and I suddenly went all clammy and had to get to the floor before passing out... Any ideas on what to do to prevent it?
I saw the doctor last time it happened and he said to take it easy but I was today and absolutely fine this morning..
Any help appreciated :) X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't have that but a friend did. She got it especially when she was lying down or when she got up suddenly or when she'd been sitting for some time. My BP was on the lower side during preganancy but I was told that was normal because your blood volume increased. Mine tended to be around 96/65 but I didn't have any symptoms like you described.

I don't think my friend went clammy - or if she did, she didn't mention that. She said she felt faint.

Have you spoken to your midwife? Sometimes they have more specific pregnancy advice than a GP would, I found?

I hope you find an answer. I can understand why it worried you.

Edited to add - obvious, but did you check your BS?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had low bp through my 2nd trimester, was just told the same really to take it easy,
I had a similar episode at work where I suddenly felt very clammy, dizzy, faint, had to sit myself down, felt very much like I was having a bad hypo but bg was around 6 I think - I remember being shocked it wasn't 'low' that was the only time I went like that,
I have felt a bit dizzy getting up too fast at times but the further through my pregnancy I've gone I've got slower at getting up anyway lol

I think as long as you get yourself sat down and check bg is ok you should be ok - although it's awful to go through at the time I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Elc1112

I've suffered from low blood pressure for a while now. Thankfully, it doesn't usually cause any symptoms. Every now and again, though, and certainly during pregnancy, I've had a few fainting spells. For me, I found getting as low to the floor as possible and having my feet raised helps the "I'm about to pass out" feeling. Of course, you have to be careful not to get up too quickly afterwards, otherwise you may feel unwell again.

Give it a try next time, but definitely speak to your midwife also. They might be able to suggest something else :)

Em

Reactions: 2 people

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone :)
I checked my BS at the time and it was 4.7 so not bad as such...

I've spoken to my midwife today and she said to make sure I stay hydrated as that can cause BP to drop and if it still happens to see the GP to check iron levels.
Hopefully it's a passing phase! 22 weeks today - it's going really quick now :)
Hope all is okay with you ladies! X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people