Low calorie advice

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed type2 just over two weeks ago - found this forum invaluable.
Have gone on a low-carb diet, usual days eating:
breakfast 2 egg omelette
lunch protein and salad
dinner protein and salad.
Cups of tea with semi-skimmed milk throughout the day.
Multivitamin tablet.
Small piece of cheese as a snack if hungry.

I reckon that's about 1000 calories - is that too low? should I be concerned?

My medication is metformin - it seems to have suppressed my appetite so I don't feel hungry on the above diet, plus I have a fair bit of weight to lose (about 2 - 3 stone) - will my metabolsim slow down and make it harder to lose weight?

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Alan

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Alan,

I'm glad you've found the forum useful - lots of good people put a lot of effort into it.
1000 calories per day is a very low level, almost a semi-starvation diet!
It's often reported that metabolic rates drop on low calorie diets and if this happens you are likely to feel tired and lethargic.
The type of diet you are following will certainly help with your weight loss, even at a much higher calorie intake than yours, because refined carbs are the foods most responsible for weight gain.

All the best,

fergus

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fergus

Thanks for the reply. I think I need to keep a food diary - I forgot to include salad dressings, a yoghurt, and I need to check exactly how much milk I use and also to ensure I have not missed anything else in order to get an accurate calorie count.
Having said that I feel fine - no lethargy/tiredness, so perhaps I am consuming more than I thought!

Sorry a bit of a panic led to the original post - actually diagnosed as type2 just 11 days ago - still dazed and confused but getting there.

Regards

Alan

Katharine

Hi Alan,

As long as you are not hungry between meals you are probably eating enough.

If you do get hungry add a bit more protein and if you are constipated add more low starch veg and butter/olive oil for taste.

How is your exercise routine?

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Katherine

At the moment I do 30 mins cadio 4 -5 times a week. apart from that sedentary. I'm not really one for eating hot veg, prefer salads and raw veg. I will take a look at the recipes to try and find something for a bit of variety.
I always used to have one meal as salad and protein anyway which is why I have been able to stick to this diet. Main change is no biscuits, chocolate, crisps, bread the usual culprits! as well as fruit for the time being.
I will double check how many calories I am eating, if it is only 1000 calories I think that is too low.
Once I have stabilised my BG I will start adding back fruit and checking their impact on my BG - Ireally miss my grapefruit for breakfast. Otherwise I feel fine.

Once again thanks to everyone on this forum - it has provided hope and a way forward.

Regards

Alan

Katharine

Hi Alan,

Adding resistance/weight training to your exercise regime should help your blood sugars due to the effect on improving muscle insulin resistance.

If you are sorely missing that wee half grapefruit I don't think anyone will beat you up if you have it with breakkies.

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Kept a food diary today - 1500 calories and 50g carbs consumed.
Main items I missed out of my original calculation - milk in tea throughout the day which accounted for 240 claories, and 200 calories from Helmans mayo.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your doing a version of the Newcastle Diet ..I think your calories are still a bit high... Loose the skimmed milk as its full of sugar ..
Could I ask if you're doing the low calories to fit the ND or just to loose weight ..if it's just to loose weight then do take a look through the forums here on the benefits of low carb high fat way of eating .. I have found it far easier to loose the weight and keep my sugar levels down on the low carb diet .. Struggled for years on the low calorie diet and never could keep the weight off.
The thing to remember is if you change your way of eating to the low carb is .. You must eat full fat products ..the low fat ones are full of sugar .. Carbs are sugar when eaten so keep these very low I eat around 20 to 30g a day of carbs ..
When you eat fat your body no longer needs to store fat ..so it not the bad food we are lead to believe... Also if you low carb you need to get your energey not from sugar ..but from fat ... It works ..eating to my meter I have my blood sugars in the normal range and have lost 5 st in 18 months ..without being starving all the time ....just food for thought for you ....