Low carb brainwashing???

Doczoc

Just read this LOL

Am I missing something here? Brainwashing? What the heck do we have to gain from promoting a regime that works? A shared feeling of success? A feeling that some good has been done? Oooh how sinister?! LMAO This would be laughable if it wasn't for the fact that people are going to end up suffering by listening to this nonsense.

A Hb1Ac of 5.3 with no meds whatsoever. Reversal of fatty liver disease. Reversal of sleep apnea. Increased HDL, lower LDL, decimated trigs. Normal blood pressure. Increased energy and elevated mood. I think that says everything.

I think the brainwashing comes from those who want to feel better about their own predicament. I don't need to tell people 'there, there it'll be alright' to make myself feel better about all my meds and increasing complications. I am not pumping myself full of insulin as a type 2. I am not afraid to test an hour after meals because the numbers scare me. So who is exactly doing the brainwashing here?

I am merely telling people what has worked for me, if people don't want to listen then fine. I'm sorry but 'success' as a type 2 isn't being put straight on insulin. When (if) that happens to me I will know I've done everything I possibly can to prevent it.

For the life of me I can't see the problem with telling people about what has worked for them. We're the supposed extreme ones for wanting to do it naturally and not wanting to rely on medical intervention as the first point of call. In what sensible world could that be described as extreme?

The choice is simple for type 2s - reduce carbs or increase your medication. There it is folks. No conspiracy. No brainwashing.

Let the individual choose without us having to resort to language such as 'brainwashing'. It's pathetic, if people want to be complacent in their own predicament then fine, but they should at least allow the others the opportunity to take more care of their health and receive all the information available.

Spiral

I got diagnosed (February-ish), read around a bit and listened to my GP (who I actually have a very good relationship with) and felt a sense of despair and hopelessness. While they were confirming diagnosis they were doing a fasting test every 2 weeks.

I knew I had to bring my blood sugar down, even tho my GP said the most important thing was to lose weight and exercise. I cut out added sugar to anything and sweets and chocolate and junk food (I miss crisps) and added fresh and raw and increased brown (bread, rice, pasta) and porridge. I brought my blood sugar down, but it was still well in the diabetic range.

I looked for diets, I needed something that would allow me to lead a normal life and that I could stick to. I found the Glycaemic Index, that seemded to be the diet I needed. My GP smiled happily when I said that this was the diet I was following. I continued to eat bread, rice, pasta and potato on a regular basis, but in moderation.

I accidentally found bloodsugar101 doing a search on Amazon. I also found my way here (one of the best accidents I have ever had, I'm sure this site has added years to my life) around the same time. I considered myself to be a low GI-er when I joined this website. After I looked around I realised that succesful diabetics all reduced their carbohydrate intake, whatever approach they take. I also realised that the people who's control I really admired were the low-carbers.

When I started to test (usually 6-8 times daily), I quickly realised that the food that really made me spike was potato :shock: :shock: :shock: and what kept me high for ages was pasta :shock: :shock: :shock: Bread didn't do me a lot of favours :? :cry: and after scaring myself senselss with the regular daily post-meal blood tests I decieded I just wouldn't go there with rice (but I will test that at some point).

I dithered at bit at first, but I now consider myself to be a low-carber not a low GI-er. This is because I don't eat bread, rice, pasta or potato. However, I do use GI concepts and glycaemic load, pulses don't make me spike unacceptably high, even tho they seem higher carb than is acceptable for a low carber. I'm a vegetarian and intend to stay that way. And when I "cheat" on my diet I tend to use the GI conepts rather than low carb :D :oops:

I'm aiming for a seat on the 5% couch. It wasn't until I cut out carb based meals that my blood sugar came under my control. But this happened because I tested regularly - I try to eat to my meter as far as possible (I have the odd lapse) - and made use of the information it gave me.

I consider myself to be a low carber because I made the decison to cut out really starchy foods like the ones I have already mentioned, because I got really quick evidence from my meter about what food did once I'd eaten it. I have found a diet were I don't feel hungry, the carb cravings went once I cut out the carby foods, and I have a sustained weight loss. I don't feel deprived and I think I have a chance of sticking to this.

Brainwashed? I don't think so. I have made an informed decision. I can see the results in my regular blood tests.

I'm being pragmatic, this seems to be working for me. I'm thrilled with the results and want others to have the same opportunity as me, so I'm happy to share my experience. It is up to others what they do with that. I will reconsider if I'm not a lot closer to 6% next time I have an HbA1c, it may take me a bit longer as I already "restrict" my diet as I'm a vegetarian.

I'm not yet taking any medication, but this may change as I'd like a faster result, but I'm rather pleased with what I have achieved without meds. I'm impatient and human.

What I have learned is that we are all different. If it works for you, great. Tell people about your success, we need as many options as we can get and I might be interested in your approach.

I'm setting myself targets based on the next blood tests right now. My next blood tests are at the end of August. I think I have most chance of achieving them in this particular diabetic body by using a low carb approach.

edited to add
Since the blood sugar fell, I don't get headaches and I have lots more energy. When I get them now I test and usually find my blood sugar higher than it ought to be. I know I can avoid headaches by minimising the amount of carbohydrate in my diet.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
ShyGirl said:
if low carb diets really do affect the brain - is it worth it?
If low-carb diets really did affect the brain then no, it probably wouldn't be worth it. But fortunately they don't impair brain function. There was a research program undertaken by Tufts University in the US which published its finding at the beginning of this year. They started half the patients on a diet containing no carbs whatsoever (no wheat products, no vegetables, no fruit, no dairy products - just protein and fat). The second group were put on the standard ADA recommended diet of 180g carbs per day.

At the end of week one, there were some differences in a minority of the cognitive tests in the zero carb group. This won't come as a surprise to anyone who has experinced "carb crash" when the body runs out of glycogen stores in the first week. But then what happened? In the second week the low carb group were allowed 5-8g carbs per day (around a quarter of what Atkins recommends). It was found that their bodies adjusted and there was no impairment of cognitive function. In fact when further tests were done it was found that the low carb group consistently performed better than the higher carb control group on tasks requiring sustained attention. In the discussion, the researchers point out other studies which have shown that "eating meals high in protein or fat in the short term reduces fatigue and improves tasks requiring vigilant attention relative to meals high in carbohydrate."

Unfortunately none of the press was interested in publishing the full findings, they simply extracted the bits about temporary impaired function and went to town with headlines like "Low-Carb Diets Can Make You Stupid" (Backpacker Magazine).

What it really proves is that you shouldn't believe stories you read in the press but do your own research.

samcogle

I think you also have to put it into perspective and think about the fact that most food comes from intensive farming methods and is covered in pesticides and whatever else they fancy so I always think it doesn't matter what you eat really, there will always be something else to worry about and someone to argue that what you are doing is wrong. You have to do something that works for you and if you feel ok then poop to the rest of them :)

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband and I have been gluten-free since Jan 08. He is not Diabetic (although I think he has been edging towards it) but what dropping gluten has had the most effect on is his brain function.

I am married to a new man! He has gone from years of being perpetually crabby and depressed with the most awful brain-fog, to being bright, alert and much, much happier and in a lot less pain (he has, amongst other things, Fibromyalgia).

You haven't a hope in whatsit of persuading me that lower-carb and especially gluten-free lower-carb doesn't benefit the brain!

PS. I am a little confused as to what this topic was triggered by. Was there a report published somewhere that suggested a low-carb brain issue?

If so, I would propose a theory on why a low-carb diet may cause a temporary issue. It is widely accepted in certain quarters that pathogens like Candida can affect the brain. When you remove their food source and the amount of sugar floating about in the body and the bloodstream is reduced they can go into a bit of a frenzy until they die back and things settle down.

It is documented that diets like GAPS and the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) which remove all starches, grains, sugar and most dairy have had great success in helping those with very obvious brain issues like Bipolar, Schizophrenia and Autism (they also are very beneficial for many physical illnesses and diseases too). There is a ground swell of evidence and testimonies to back up these benefits although mainstream medicine is still trying hard to ignore or dismiss it.

I know for one that had I not been following the SCD for the last 15 months I would have been highly unlikely to be as well as I am now.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Forgive coming here - I read titles rather than the forum area.

I came to this forum in trouble with peripheral neuropathy, & eating the NHS/DUK diet & confident that I was doing the best for my diabetes. As I read of people's experience with diet, I tried modifying mine. It worked, & a year on I am substantially free from the trouble that brought me here.

If I had had to choose an area when I first came, I would probably not have seen the info that restored my health.

Rather than directing newcomers to high/low carb, surely we need a neutral newcomers' area where they can get the advice they need.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
AliB said:
PS. I am a little confused as to what this topic was triggered by. Was there a report published somewhere that suggested a low-carb brain issue?
Hi Ali and thanks for relating your story. The original topic wasn't about low carb and brain damage, but brain damage was mentioned by a subsequent poster. Now I am not concerned about which diet people choose for themselves, so long as their choice can be made on the basis of fact rather than misreporting by the press. So when incorrect or misleading information is given then I and the other mods do our best to correct it before some damage is done.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I would like to pose a partially related question....

I have been told by good old NHS dietician that I should beware of low carbing, as the higher protein intake can cause damage to the kidneys. I am not fussed by that as I have read much commentary which refutes this and also note that this claim is comment rich and evidence lacking.
However what I do not understand is :-

I am eating 50g ish of carbs per day, I do not measure my protein intake, but lets guess that it is about 300-400g.
When my intake was "unrestricted" as is the intake of the majority of the population and my protein intake was higher than it is today, then why wasnt protein intake highlighted as a potential kidney problem?..

If the kidneys can process 500g of protein per day along with 500g or more of carbohydrates, then why isnt the high protein an issue?. I have yet to hear of anyone who's kidneys failed due to excessive protein intake?..

Steve.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As you already know, the protein damage to the kidneys is a myth based on a misunderstanding. there is a small ampount of evidence that damaged kidneys do better on reduced protein. the other error is that low carb should be high protein. It sshould be high FAT, or in my case.Low everything