Low Carb Coconut and Strawberry Scones That Are Yummy

elmacri

They look lovely. I am going to make them this afternoon. Do you have any other lovely recipes with coconut flour? I have been starting to use it as have put my partner typw 1 on the ketogenic diet. I am making him bread from the flour every few days as its something he just cant give up. :)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
lynde89 said:
Hi Claire,

Did you like the cheese ones? I think I will definitely have to give this a go as soon as I get all the ingredients.

They sound like they will turn out like the U.S 'biscuits' (like biscuits & gravy). U.S biscuits are like a savory scone, normally salty or with a salty covering, nice & crumbly & delicious with some butter on when still warm. It's more of a southern thing, normally with fried chicken or country gravy or something similar. Now I'm hungry! Haha

Have you tried the strawberry ones with jam & cream like a traditional scone?

I NEED to get all the ingredients for these soon lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi Lynde. I haven't had a chance to try the cheese ones yet, but I just made some coconut ones without fruit, with cream and jam in the middle and they were lovely. I need to hunt down a better low carb jam though.

My latest creation was the perfect Yorkshire Pudding. Sunday dinner is sorted now. :)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Sid Bonkers said:
They look lovely Claire but I would only eat one as a special treat as your increased sized scones means they have 94 cals each, and if you add cream to that (which I would :D ) it will up the calories even more.

Low carb but not low fat so not good if you are trying to lose weight as well as control your bg levels.

When I experimented with almond flour everything just tasted of almonds even with vanilla essence or cocoa added, which is fine if you like almonds but I dont particularly, do these have a strong taste of coconut?

I think it depends on your diet. Having a low fat and low carb diet is pretty difficult to manage. Especially as a vegetarian who needs proteins. I'm on a Keto diet, so I use fat for energy, not calories. At some point I need to count my calories, but only when I stop losing weight (at the moment it's falling off me). On fats, I burn them all off as part of my diet. But yes, generally these are a treat once a day. They're so filling though, on a Keto diet one kept me going for 8 hours before I was hungry again.

It does depend on your diet though. People on a low fat diet won't find much use in my recipies. They're all aimed at the Bergstein diet (similar to Atkins or Keto diets). So high fat, low carb, count your calories if you stop losing weight on it.

pms543

Strawberry and Coconut Low Carb Scones
This recipe is adapted from a baker's recipe, so the all processes need to be followed for it to work properly, but it yields some pretty fantastic results.
scone-nutrition.png

Nutrition for a 19 g baked strawberry scone.

My scones came out at 38g because I wanted them to look like a scone, so I estimate about 6 carbs per scone, but they are so full of proteins and fats, you probably won’t be able to eat more than one—especially if you fill it with butter or low/no sugar strawberry jam and whipped cream ^^.

Preparation time: 10 mins
Freezing time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Serving: 10 scones
Carbs per scone: 6g

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup (57g) coconut flour, divided into 6 tbsp and 2 tbsp.
    1 tbsp (10g) golden linseed (whole).
    2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder.
    1/4 teaspoon (1.5g) salt.
    6 tablespoons (85g) refrigerated unsalted butter. Make sure the butter is hard and cold.
    60g unsweetened strawberries.
    3 large (150g) eggs.
    1/3 cup (80g) heavy whipping cream.
    1 teaspoon (4g) pure vanilla extract.

Method:

• Weigh out the strawberries and chop them up into pieces. Set aside for later.
    In large bowl mix 6 tablespoons of coconut flour, linseeds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
    In a small bowl mix cream, eggs, and vanilla with a fork until all combined. Set aside.
    Cut the cold butter into small cubes and work it into your coconut flour mixture using your hands or a pastry blender until you have a course meal texture. It’ll feel quite sticky.
    Slowly add your liquid egg and cream mixture and mix in with a fork until you have dough. Save a little bit of the cream mixture for glazing later. A tablespoon should do.
    Add your extra 2 tablespoons of coconut flour now and mix until it thickens into a dough. What you have should be looking like scone mix by now. Let it sit for a few moments, and it will thicken as the coconut flour absorbs the liquid.
    Mix the strawberries into the dough evenly.
    Put the mixture in the freezer for 20 minutes.
    Take the cold mixture out of the freezer and make ten small dough balls in your hands. Flatten them slightly as you place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (to make a scone shape) and then put the tray in the freezer for another 20 minutes. Try to do this process rather quickly because you will want them to stay cold.
    Preheat oven to 425F (218C) while you wait.
    Take the scones out of the freezer and brush each one with the remaining cream/egg mixture to glaze them.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes.
    Take out of the oven and let cool on a tray.
These are to die for. They taste and look like a scone. They also fill you up for hours, so you really don't need more than one of these a day, and they're a great addition if you fancy a treat. You can adapt the recipe to suit what you like with different fruits. (Cherries, raspberries, sultanas, raisins etc.)

Here's a photo of my finished scones: (Yes, I ate one before I took the photo :p).
scone.png

How well do they freeze?

Just thinking, 10 scones would be a lot to keep fresh at having just one a day!!

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strawberry and Coconut Low Carb Scones
This recipe is adapted from a baker's recipe, so the all processes need to be followed for it to work properly, but it yields some pretty fantastic results.
scone-nutrition.png

Nutrition for a 19 g baked strawberry scone.

My scones came out at 38g because I wanted them to look like a scone, so I estimate about 6 carbs per scone, but they are so full of proteins and fats, you probably won’t be able to eat more than one—especially if you fill it with butter or low/no sugar strawberry jam and whipped cream ^^.

Preparation time: 10 mins
Freezing time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Serving: 10 scones
Carbs per scone: 6g

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup (57g) coconut flour, divided into 6 tbsp and 2 tbsp.
    1 tbsp (10g) golden linseed (whole).
    2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder.
    1/4 teaspoon (1.5g) salt.
    6 tablespoons (85g) refrigerated unsalted butter. Make sure the butter is hard and cold.
    60g unsweetened strawberries.
    3 large (150g) eggs.
    1/3 cup (80g) heavy whipping cream.
    1 teaspoon (4g) pure vanilla extract.

Method:

• Weigh out the strawberries and chop them up into pieces. Set aside for later.
    In large bowl mix 6 tablespoons of coconut flour, linseeds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
    In a small bowl mix cream, eggs, and vanilla with a fork until all combined. Set aside.
    Cut the cold butter into small cubes and work it into your coconut flour mixture using your hands or a pastry blender until you have a course meal texture. It’ll feel quite sticky.
    Slowly add your liquid egg and cream mixture and mix in with a fork until you have dough. Save a little bit of the cream mixture for glazing later. A tablespoon should do.
    Add your extra 2 tablespoons of coconut flour now and mix until it thickens into a dough. What you have should be looking like scone mix by now. Let it sit for a few moments, and it will thicken as the coconut flour absorbs the liquid.
    Mix the strawberries into the dough evenly.
    Put the mixture in the freezer for 20 minutes.
    Take the cold mixture out of the freezer and make ten small dough balls in your hands. Flatten them slightly as you place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (to make a scone shape) and then put the tray in the freezer for another 20 minutes. Try to do this process rather quickly because you will want them to stay cold.
    Preheat oven to 425F (218C) while you wait.
    Take the scones out of the freezer and brush each one with the remaining cream/egg mixture to glaze them.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes.
    Take out of the oven and let cool on a tray.
These are to die for. They taste and look like a scone. They also fill you up for hours, so you really don't need more than one of these a day, and they're a great addition if you fancy a treat. You can adapt the recipe to suit what you like with different fruits. (Cherries, raspberries, sultanas, raisins etc.)

Here's a photo of my finished scones: (Yes, I ate one before I took the photo :p).
scone.png

Just made these and wanted to thank you for posting, utterly delicious :)

Jayneee

Hallo, I'm lactose intolerant, I have a butter substitute but not one for heavy cream....can't do soya products either. Do you think the solid part of a tin of coconut milk would work instead of the cream? Thanks x