Low carb crumble and custard

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The crumble recipe is adapted from a recipe posted by WhitbyJet and the custard is home-made custard, minus the cornflour and sugar. One of the best low carb puddings I've made, perhaps second to LC dark chocolate mouse (recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38947&p=363698&hilit=chocolate+mousse#p363698).

I wanted to use rhubarb in this as I love rhubarb crumble, but couldn't get my hands on any, so bought Morrisons frozen summer berries - 6g carbs per 100g, similar to rhubarb.

Crumble:
120g butter
2 cups ground almonds
1 cup walnuts and hazlenuts, ground. (Grind them after you've measured them)
2 tbsp splenda
1/3 cup desicated coconut

Make as you would normal crumble by rubbing the butter into the mixture. Cook on 180 until golden brown on top - about 30 mins. By my calculations there's 40g carbs in the crumble mixture. It's quite filling and I can manage a quarter of it. If you put 400g of Morrison's frozen berries in then it comes out at arond 16g carbs per portion.

Custard:
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup double cream
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp splenda
1/2 vanilla pod, or vanilla flavouring

Mix the milk and cream together in a pan and bring to a simmer. Separate three egg yolks and put into a jug. When the milk/cream is simmering, pour onto the eggs, mixing with a fork as you do so. Leave to cool as this will make it thicken. Then heat back up. 14g of carbs in total.

I use cups as a measure as I think it's faster measuring things by volume than weight. 1 cup = 236 ml.

WhitbyJet

Careful when you add the hot cream to the egg yolks, its best to 'temper' the egg yolks by adding a tiny amount of hot cream whilst whisking, slowly adding the rest of the cream, return to pan and heat slowly whisking/stirring all the time but dont boil or else you'll end up with custard scramble (done that before).

Another suggestion for custard:
Mascarpone cheese, add vanilla essence/extract/powder/scraped out pod, sweetener, few drops of yellow food colouring if you want and enough single cream to make it into the consistency you want.

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
WhitbyJet- you really should have your own cooing Tv show!

Or at least a thread where you give us all a recipe of the week.

I've added Mascapone to my shopping list. :D

WhitbyJet

carraway said:
WhitbyJet- you really should have your own cooing Tv show!

Or at least a thread where you give us all a recipe of the week.

I've added Mascapone to my shopping list. :D

Thanks, I will pay you later :lol:

seriously the mascarpone custard is to die for

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only made the custard twice, all down to luck that I've not made a mess of it so far!

WhitbyJet

SamJB said:
I've only made the custard twice, all down to luck that I've not made a mess of it so far!

No it's not pot luck, it's pure skill and class; am green with envy.