Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tesco's are rather expensive for chicken, you buy one much cheaper in Aldi for around £3.50.

Aldi also do the chicken in a bag where you don't have to touch the chicken until it's cooked, they are already seasoned.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I find that when I don't snack and I consistently walk past cakes, sandwiches, etc. in coffee shops, I save a lot of money. For the grocery foods, it depends. I know now where to buy the cheapest nuts, seeds, coconut oil, etc. I get away with cheap meat, thanks to my slow cooker and the guts to try different types of meat, and cheap veggies at the market. Just today I bought 5 courgettes, 2 huge (really huge) broccoli heads and a bag of red peppers for altogether £3.
If you have Aldi try them I bought 4 courgettes (fat) 89p a huge red pepper 49p and head of
broccoli 50p total£1.84

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have Aldi try them I bought 4 courgettes (fat) 89p a huge red pepper 49p and head of
broccoli 50p total£1.84

Yes, I sometimes go to Aldi, but I need to cycle there. It is the place where I buy nuts and yoghurt, too.

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco's are rather expensive for chicken, you buy one much cheaper in Aldi for around £3.50.

Aldi also do the chicken in a bag where you don't have to touch the chicken until it's cooked, they are already seasoned.

I often scan the local, little Tesco for reduced items and sometime get a god deal, e.g. a pot coleslaw for 7p tonight :cool:

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abel and Cole has organic free range chicken carcasses with neck and giblets averagely 1kg for 2.25 - I buy them for soup

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat vegetables, oats, avocado, nuts and fresh fruits, they are really cheap and healthy. Can help you in maintaining low carb diet.
I like eating vegetable soups, smoothies, salads and sprouts, it contain all important vitamins and helpful in weight loss routine.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest having a look in stores catering for immigrants.

I went to a shop today which had fresh dates on branches for £6.99/kg, Turkish figs 3 for £1, Extra Virgin organic coconut oil 3.99 for 450g, more than 50 different cheeses, more kinds of salami than I've ever seen in my life, buckets of olives, fresh prickly pears, karela, okra, every dried herb you could ever want, six different kinds of tahini. My mother and I were amazed. There was so much, it looked fresh, it was definitely cheap and the shop was packed to the ceiling.

Savers - offers from leaflet picked up today:
Sweetex 600 was 1.49 now 1.29
Hermesetas 1200 was 2.99 now 2.49

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a lot more bargains since eating low-carb, but just last week I noticed that having a meal out can be more expensive :arghh: The options for me are limited, and the "add chips for £1" offers are out. I modify my mains, so the sides that are left out are usually replaced with veggies, so I am not as full after eating and might go for another side, a starter or so. Plus, when I get my food modified in a nice way, without faff, I tend to give more tip :)

Reactions: 4 people