Low carb hot chocolate, no sweeteners

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not for health reasons really, but because it makes me happy. :joyful: So I guess that's a health reason too, mental health may be the most important part of health.
And yes, it drops my BG like a brick, especially when the water is close to freezing. Makes for an interesting experiment with my insulin, with a satisfying touch of YOLO. :hilarious:
Here's my thread about it: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cold-water-swimming-and-diabetes.200255/
Fantastic ! If it makes you happy that is the best reason. I'm thinking of doing it. I live on the west coast close to the beach. Sometimes, when I take the dogs onto the beach I see these two women, they must be in their 70's swimming. They are laughing and having a great time. It's freezing cold but there they are swimming. I heard that the stress of the cold water on the body is significant, but once out you feel euphoric and that uplift brings amazing health benefits. I can totally understand how that swim can bring your blood sugars down ! lol. Sorry I didn't want to distract you from your chocolate :p

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of doing it. I live on the west coast close to the beach. Sometimes, when I take the dogs onto the beach I see these two women, they must be in their 70's swimming. They are laughing and having a great time. It's freezing cold but there they are swimming.
Why not walk up to them next time you see them and ask if you can join them to give it a try? Most open water swimmers are very friendly, and happy to se new faces. :) I wouldn't go on my own the first time, especially not this time of year.
Sorry I didn't want to distract you from your chocolate :p
Don't worry, I've never started a thread that stayed on topic in all the years I've been a member so I didn't expect any different for this one. I guess I'm just too prone to derailing myself. :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: Melgar

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there are threads and posts on hot chocolate but unfortunately the search bar doesn't pick up words of fewer than four letters. So a search gives me lots of posts containg the word chocolate but it's hard to find the ones about the drink, not the bar, so I started a new thread on it.

I have friends coming over this weekend and I challenged their children (8-13) for a cold swim outside, and promised I'd take care of the hot chocolate for warming up again. :joyful:
I love hot chocolate, and I haven't had one in over 7 years, and I don't want to miss out this time!

My idea was to heat cream and water and pour it over 85% chocolate. Has anyone tried this and does it work? Any issues with the mixture separating?
I can bring sugar for the children to sweeten it a bit more if they want to, I expect it will be sweet enough for me as it is.

No sweeteners, I absolutely hate the taste of them.

Any tips welcome!
Haven't read all the rest because my brain is 100% fried, but I've done it with one or two squares of Lindt 85, and it really did need a little milk frother to mix, and even then some stuck to the mug. Personally I rather like Kruger cocoa powder, two heaping teaspoons per mug should do it. As you know I usually just do half coconut milk and half water, no idea what the ratios would need to be for honest-to-god cream of the moo-moo variety, but others here will know and have probably said something already. Maybe whip some up as well? Toss a little cacao in it to make chocolate mousse, extra decadent on top. ;)

I hope you enjoy the weekend!!! :)
Jo

• Friendly

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously, you have no idea how often I have cursed the forum for not including shorter words in a search when I was a moderator!

Every day's a school day!

Should have posted this in the 'inspirational quotes' thread.

• Funny