Low carb in long run

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how healthy is a low carb diet in the long run apart from the low BG benefits?

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's the $64,000 question. I'm sure some long term low carbers will post their experiences.

Personally, I have only been doing this for 7 months. At present I haven't felt this well in years. All my health indicators are looking good (BG, BP and weight). Need to get bloods done to check my cholesterol.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The body needs protein and fat as essential nutrients. Carbs are not essential. The long term effect of a low carb diet, provided you have enough protein and fat is good.

Life expectancy of people with diabetes can be 10 years lower than normal. This is because high blood sugars over the long term cause complications including nerve damage, Alzheimer's and result in increased heart and kidney disease amongst other things. High blood sugars have a devastating effect on our health.

If a low carb diet allows us to have blood sugars in the normal range then long term you can expect to be a lot more healthy, live longer and have much lower risk of neuropathy and other devastating complications of diabetes.

Reactions: dbr10

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Theoretically there is no reason for there to be any long-term harm as you don't need any carbs part from the fibre

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been vlc ( 20 or less) a day for over 25 years ( various forms of Atkins induction. My foods are just much higher quality now) and thrive on it. The few times I was going to change my diet to a 'healthier' diet and added back in whole grains and fruit I was a mess. Bloated, exausted, moody etc.
I love my vlc diet. Keeps everything in check.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been low carbing on and off (much more on than off!) for over 30 years now, my experience is that I feel great to wonderful on low carbs, and worse to dreadful on carbs. My cholesterol is slightly lower than average with optimal ratios. I eat a wide range of veg, enough protein, and get a good selection of nutritious fats. I eat a rainbow, enjoy salads and plenty of veg.

So that says it all, as far as I am concerned.

BUT there is a big difference between 'low carb' (less than 130 g carb a day) and keto (less than 50g carbs a day).

I am currently keto, and feeling better than ever. But is it sustainable for decades of great health? I simply do not know. Will feel the same in another 30+ years? Would I feel better, or worse than just 'low carb'? Who knows?

The only certainty I have is that eating 'standard carbs' as advised by most medical professionals will make me ill within a few days.

For me, large scale studies and general thinking is of no use whatsoever. They are aimed at most people. My body is more sensitive to carbs than most people. I get ill when I eat carbs. I get inflammation when I eat carbs. So generalised studies and research is never going to fit me.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ive been eating low carb for 8 years now and have lost 5 stone and maintained that weight loss for 7 years and I feel fine, but It depends what you mean by the "long run"?

Ive never added extra fat to my diet though, just eaten fewer carbs, the first year I was eating around 60g of carbs a day and after a year or so I gradually increased them up to about 90g to 120 g a day, I cant be certain as I just dont count them any more.

The fact that the percentage of carbs I eat is lower than it used to be of course means that the percentage of fat I eat is higher even though Ive never eaten more fat. Basically before I was diagnosed with T2 I just ate too much of everything so now I believe that too much of anything is probably bad for you and too much of everything is definitely bad for you ;)