Low carb insurgency!

Triflegirl

Dislikes
Bigotry of any kind, unkindness, peas and George Bush
That makes very interesting reading Jem and *wow* well done to you, the improvements you have seen are incredibly inspirational to me. It's so much more motivating to hear first-hand that a particular regime has worked. This weekend will mark my first week of low carbing and although I can't say it has been easy, I must admit that the last couple of days I have felt better than I have in a long time, more energy, less bloaty and I've slept better (and had wonderful dreams about Fergus's trifle!)

Reading everybody's positive experiences of low-carbing it's just amazing that this approach isn't supported more by doctors.

Now if only I can work out how to fit pizzas and tequila into the low carb regime ..............

scottishkate

Hiya again,

There are very few carbs in neat Tequilla! So as long as you don't mix it up with sugary mixers you'll be alright :wink:

Pizza - well, make a large omlette base in a large pan and just chuck whatever pizza toppings you fancy on it. Throw on some chesse, bung under the grill to melt and hey presto - pizza(ish) and low-carb yumminess!

Or try this - it works well and is very healthy (stolen from lowcarbdiets webpage):

This is a variation of my flax meal focaccia bread, which is a dense "good for you" type of bread. It makes a pizza that is about 12 inches in diameter, although you can spread it thinner and larger if you want. More Low Carb Pizza
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 C flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
Sweetener to equal about 1 Tablespoon of sugar
3 Tablespoons of oil
3 eggs
`1/2 C water
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 F.

Mix dry ingredients together.

Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.

Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.

Spread on pan (I put it on a silicon mat or greased parchment paper).

Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, then add toppings and cook until they are done.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, 130 grams healthy fat, and 1525 calories.

Katie x

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
*big smiles*

xxx xxx xxx

Trinkwasser

fasteddie said:
Hi Jem

A very interesting posting as usual. Typically by low carbing your HbA1c has improved a great deal and as diabetics we all quite rightly focus on our blood glucose levels. The part of your posting that is just as interesting is while you have increased your fat intake 10 fold, your weight has gone down and you cholesterol has improved.

Now you are going against what so many Doctors and Dieticians recommend, the more you go away from the usual advice, the healthier you are becoming. You have discovered fat does not make you fat, fat does not have a detrimental effect on your cholesterol levels and is far more satiating than high carb food. I am sure your next set of tests will show further improvement, what a remarkable turn around in only a few short months.

The truly disappointing thing is that this is far from unusual. We see it all the time in newsgroups and other forums too, even right under the noses of the ADA on their own forums.

Some research shows that fats are only toxic in the presence of high quantities of carbs, there is competition even down to the level of the cell nucleus, ATP and AMPK (of course the high levels of fats in the blood come principally from carb consumption) and much dietary research into fats is done with levels of carb most of us would find toxic, so teasing this apart is taking time and effort and openmindedness on the part of the researchers.

dwilson32392

Hi triflegir
Breakfasts are difficult I know!

Try these pancakes;

In a bowl, beat together 1dessert sp. soy flour; 1 dsp. ground almonds; 1 dsp. Canadian toasted bran (from Holland and Barratt); pinch of salt; sweetener to taste; half tsp. olive oil; 1 egg; enough soy milk to produce a cream-like pouring consistency.
Fry in olive oil at low/moderate temperature; serve with sweetener and lemon juice.

I prepare the mix the night before so that I can work on autopilot in the morning.