Low carb is the way to go says my diabetes consultant

B

badcat

1 year ago after nearly 20 years with good control as T2 diabetic, my control had gone - HBa1C was 67,cholesterol was 6, BP 150/82
Now 1 year on low carb high (good)fats diet - HBa1C is 41, cholesterol 5 and BP 124/69
I'm with my diabetes consultant all the way!

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Badcat,
When I was diagnosed several years ago my db nurse said that I shouldn't worry about what I ate, just so long as it was low in sugar. I think carbs didn't have the bad reputation they do know (to us). I will be seeing my nurse in a few weeks for the first time since last year, it will be interesting to see what the general opinion is now. I will also tell her about this internet site, I think it should be compulsory reading for all db medical staff. I have managed to go from 200g of carb per day to 150g. No where near as low as most, but I am trying. What is your level?
Lee.

B

badcat

I generally come in between 50-60g carbs a day although I sometimes hit 30/35g
Generally I am finding I am a less hungry and although when I have calculated cals these have been higher than before I went onto low carb, I've lost a stone and a half without trying which is a win win in my book!
When working out how many carbs to have,I tested BM after virtually everything I ate to see what effect it had
Before going low carb, I was following a trad diabetic diet ( ie no simple carbs, lots of complex carbs etc) for nearly 20 years and went low carb when it just stopped working - presumably I'm now producing very little insulin so can't cope with many carbs at all
Good luck with your DN appt

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi there,

I LowCarb at 30gr or under daily. I tested regularly and found that by cutting out ALL breads, rice, potato, oatmeal etc my bloods stabilized at 5.9 both before and after meals. I have come down from 7.9 fasting to 5.5 and the rest are under 6 consistently. I enjoy Meat stews made with celery, onion, carrots, red pepper, herbs and Paprika, add a bit of Cream. I also eat a lot of Salmon, Mackerel and eggs. Cholestrol has come down to 5, Bp is now 110/69 and as a bonus I lost 20 kgs! For me it is no longer a diet but an extremely versatile lifestyle. Might not work for all though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going low carb was the best thing I've ever done with my diabetes. HbA1c has dropped from the mid 7s to 6.1%. The lowest its ever been!

When I told my GP I was going low carb, he said "I think all diabetics should go low carb". Definitely need more doctors like him.

Freedom1

SamJB said:
Going low carb was the best thing I've ever done with my diabetes. HbA1c has dropped from the mid 7s to 6.1%. The lowest its ever been!

When I told my GP I was going low carb, he said "I think all diabetics should go low carb". Definitely need more doctors like him.

Maybe, just maybe this message will get through and win over the advice given now. But will it? there is a lot of money involved in giving us this bad high starch carb diet advice.

I have a fantastic consultant, he looks at my diary but has never passed comment on my lack of carbs. I average 10g of carb a day and that is from veg/nuts/cheese and meat. All of which are almost, but almost free of carbs.

mpe

lrw60 said:
Hi Badcat,
When I was diagnosed several years ago my db nurse said that I shouldn't worry about what I ate, just so long as it was low in sugar. I think carbs didn't have the bad reputation they do know (to us).

All carbohydrates are "sugar", it's in the definition! Calling monosaccharides & disaccharides "sugars" and polysaccharides "(complex) carbohydrates" makes little sense. Even more so when you have diabetics being told to eat less "sugar" whilst at the same time encouraged to eat glucose polysaccharides with every meal.
Especially when you consider that many forms of "starch" (which is 111.1% glucose) are more rapidly digested and adsorbed than sucrose (which is only 52.6% glucose). With lactose typically being the last carbohydrate to be digested and adsorbed (also 52.6% glucose).

The process of converting disaccharides and polysaccharides to monosaccharides involves a chemical reaction, with water, which explains why 100g of starch ends up as 111.1g of glucose. (Also 100g of sucrose ends up as 52.6g of glucose & 52.6g of fructose and 100g of lactose ends up as 52.6g of glucose & 52.6g of galactose)

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I was recently discussing my low-carb (60g per day) diet with a friend who is an NHS dietician. He was obviously unimpressed muttering about problems of Ketosis and the need for carbs in ones diet. I really didn't know what to say. I could hardly challenge his professional knowledge, but he was wrong wrong wrong - So I changed the subject

mpe

badcat said:
Before going low carb, I was following a trad diabetic diet ( ie no simple carbs, lots of complex carbs etc) for nearly 20 years and went low carb

Note that "complex" in this context is more about drawing a chemical structure diagram or creating a "ball and stick" model of a molecule. The most complex, amylopectin, is typically the first to be broken down and adsorbed by the digestive system. Since digestion starts in the mouth. Whereas digestion of lactose only starts in the intestine.

The whole "complex carbohydrates are slow energy release" idea is entirely contrary to the chemistry involved. Possibly it originates from breakfast cereal advertising.

mpe

stuffedolive said:
I was recently discussing my low-carb (60g per day) diet with a friend who is an NHS dietician. He was obviously unimpressed muttering about problems of Ketosis

It's hard to see how a metabolic pathway present in many animals can be a "problem". You'd expect evolution to have eliminated it from a common ancestor if that were the case.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mpe said:
stuffedolive said:
I was recently discussing my low-carb (60g per day) diet with a friend who is an NHS dietician. He was obviously unimpressed muttering about problems of Ketosis

It's hard to see how a metabolic pathway present in many animals can be a "problem". You'd expect evolution to have eliminated it from a common ancestor if that were the case.

It was he that used the term 'problems' not I, which is why I was a bit speechless. :?

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi badcat,

Update on my visit to the db nurse. Still clear of diabetes with a HbA1c level of 37, it was 56 in 2009. My weight is now 12.5 stones which is about 78kg. It was 17.8 stones, 113kg in 2009. I didn't get to see my nurse as she left me an answerphone message saying to make another appointment in 6 months. All in all a good day! For me it was losing weight that did the trick. Low carbing is now something I have to include in my lifestyle. It's very difficult for a vegitarian who does,'t eat eggs or fish, or of course any meat, to addopt a low carb lifestyle. Or perhaps I am not putting enough effort into it. I need one of the TV chefs to write a new cook book. 'The low carb vegitarian/vegan but still delicious cookbook'. Put me down for a copy. :thumbup:
Lee.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lrw60 said:
Update on my visit to the db nurse. Still clear of diabetes with a HbA1c level of 37, .

Don't ever think you are clear of diabetes - you're not, you've just got good control.
I was once told (by a locum GP no less) that I had not got diabetes just because my Hba1c had improved. Guess what? I relaxed and it came back to bite me in the bum!

lrw60

Dislikes
stuffedolive, how did you relax? I relaxed my diet over Christmas and put on weight, which I expected, but I would like to know a bit more about the 'before' and 'after' that caused the bottom biting.
lrw60

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Irw60.
At the time I wasn't low carbing I was low GI-ing. And my Hba1c had dropped to non-diabetic levels and I had had a normal OGGT, hence the doc said I was not diabetic - the fool!
I told myself that I could have the odd treat, a biscuit here, a small piece of cake there, 2nd helping of lasagne? yes please! oh.. I haven't had trifle in ages, maybe just a little bit , I've only got diabetes a little bit and as its a special occasion yes I'll just have the one ferrero-rocher.
It's insidious and the weight crept on a bit at a time and before I knew it I was back where I was before.
Now I know better. It's low carb for the rest of my life whatever my Hba1c says.

chefbronia

In November I was diagnosed w/T2. I was 78 kg/22mml. Since I know the consequences of diabetes I really got scared. I have a diploma in nutrition and I believe that what is teaching in schools is a ****. I immediatelly cut on carbs and guess what - I lost 16 kilos, my sugar is under control, I am pills free since February (after 3 months). I still have a wine, restaurant meal (even pub's - for example burger without bun etc.) The truth - I am hard on myself - however - you can survive. I just cut on potato, pasta, bread, beer and starchy vegies. Sugary drings never been my problem. Am I on diet ? No, just different way to eat. And anyway - mashed califlower with parmasan is way much better than mashed potato:) - even my husband prefer it. So as far I am concerned - low carbing is the way for me. BTW - the doctor was impressed in February and took me from the pill. I am going for the test in few days - worry free - fasting sugar around 5mmol, after meal 6mmol -7mmol. oh BTW - now I am 60 kg and feel great and keeping.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brilliant! chefbronia. you've done so well.
I've got my first Hba1c since moving to low carb coming up in 3 weeks time. I've lost 7kg since the last one and am eating so much better, so I'm hoping for a good result - but I'm not going to have any treats if it is. I've actually found that with low carbing my treats are different - brazil nuts, posh cheese, posh wine, artichokes, etc - :D

goodnews123

You are fortunate to find an enlightened GP, or Diabetic Nurse or GP.
With all these fantastic postings regarding no sugar, and low carbing, why do the NHS guidelines continue with the awful garbage about a balanced diet.
I despair. We are having to muddle along ourselves, stumbling across informative internet sites, and yet the NHS should be promoting this lifestyle. But then of course, there would be less need for medications and testing equipment!

lrw60

Dislikes
stuffedolive said:
Irw60.
It's insidious and the weight crept on a bit at a time and before I knew it I was back where I was before.
Now I know better. It's low carb for the rest of my life whatever my Hba1c says.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. My diet is now my lifestyle, or else. There will come a day that the levels start to creep up through no fault of mine. I just hope that day is a long time off. Mind you, I will be having some of my friends crumble later! It's a rare treat that might have to get rarer. Just not today.
lrw60

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lrw60 said:
stuffedolive said:
Irw60.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. My diet is now my lifestyle, or else. There will come a day that the levels start to creep up through no fault of mine. I just hope that day is a long time off. Mind you, I will be having some of my friends crumble later! It's a rare treat that might have to get rarer. Just not today.
lrw60

If you accept that the levels will creep up then they will creep up, and treats will bring that day nearer each and every time, to believe otherwise is the denial that we all know is so pernicious and dangerous. That's how the cookie crumbles", as they say.

Good luck Irw60 and promise you'll have cream rather than custard and say "to" 2nds. :wink: