Low carb rice

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it. It's nothing like rice, and I didn't enjoy it with a curry, even though I like the fettuccine from the same range with pasta sauces. For something healthier and cheaper, have you tried cauliflower rice? Basically, just grated or processed cauli, cooked with some butter and/or coconut oil, plus any herbs and spices you like.

Reactions: 6 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My family has been trying Quinoa as a lower carb substitute for rice. it was ok in risotto, but not tried a curry yet, We do cauli mash regularly but not tried cauli rice yet. I have read that if you cook rice as normal, then cool it down quickly, then reheat it, then a lot of the starch becomes ineffective, and this may help reduce spike if still catbing. BUT rice should not be left overnight before reheating.

We did try wholegrain brown rice thinking the lower GI would help, but regret to inform you all that it still gave me a humungous spike. Avoid chinese takeaway rice too. I believe indian takeaway is better because they use patna rice, which is low(ish) starch. But these are all still carby so be careful of portion size.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't tried the eat water slim rice, but the noodles are brilliant - we have them often - I do snip them up with scissors though otherwise they're a little awkward to handle when eating in polite company!

As for rice - we had a homemade curry last night: hubby had rice and I had caulirice - microwaved frozen cauli (200g), salt and loads of pepper whizzed into rice using my mini food processor. I MUCH prefer it to rice - I only discovered using cauli as a non-starchy replacement for rice and mashed potato just after Christmas, and now I can't get enough of the stuff....

Reactions: 11 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've tried it too but another brand. It was... okay. It didn't really taste of anything. It had a bit of a strange smell when I opened the packet but that went away when I rinsed it before microwaving it hot. Incidentally, the second half of the packet I used to bulk out a red cabbage dish and when mixed with the red cabbage the fake rice turned a fabulous shade of sky blue.

I was given three packets of it so next time I think I'll be a bit more adventurous and try making a sort of risotto with it because I really miss traditionally cooked risotto.

Reactions: 10 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that @Larissima....i will try the cauliflower rice . I tried quinoa @Oldvatr....i didnt like it too much and i think portion size is a huge problem for me unfortunately . I will try the noodles @Snapsy . Oh my goodness @Chook.....although i like sky blue as a colour lol...thanks everyone for the info and help

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Cauliflower rice is lovely with a few meditereanean herbs added to it. Quinoa is good too.

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blue rice - reminds me of that scene in Bridget Jones where she inadvertently dyed the spaghetti!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never liked ordinary rice but love cauliflower rice I put the raw florets in my food processor and grind it up then stir fry it in butter and coconut oil and add whatever spices or herbs I fancy. The other way I do it is to cook it in a saucepan with coconut milk just simmer gently until has absorbed all the milk then I add some grated cheese and seasoning both ways are yummy

Reactions: 6 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
The rice is probably the worst of the range, I eat the noodles most days. I've taken to blitzing the rice and also the lasagna sheets in a nutibullet and adding to soup to bulk out the soup, which is mainly seasoning and Quorn as I'm a vegetarian it works pretty well as winter soup.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Ive bought the pasta and rice free last week but haven't tried them yet. Am a bit put off by reading about the smell it gives off when opening ;) I will give it a go though. I have just bought the butternut squash spaghetti/noodles and am looking forward to trying those. The courgetti (courgette spaghetti) was lovely in a pesto sauce last week. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaaaw... Courgetti is delicious with pesto sauce.... Omg... Its delicious....

So is a roasted pepper with pesto in the base, sundried tomatoes on top and then an egg and baked.... Wonderful things to do with pesto too....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aaaaw... Courgetti is delicious with pesto sauce.... Omg... Its delicious....

So is a roasted pepper with pesto in the base, sundried tomatoes on top and then an egg and baked.... Wonderful things to do with pesto too....
I've GOT to try that. I've got the technology ( spiraliser arrived this morning). Just haven't got any courgettes. Or pesto.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some wonderful recipes out there. I cut my peppers in 1/2 and roast them in oven for 10 minutes and then fill. Then just put back the pepper for 16-18 minutes. The egg will self poach itself.. You can have egg runny or harder..
The only thing I haven't totally mastered is getting the pepper balanced properly to keep the egg in!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455102649.402657.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455102590.103079.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455102611.069808.jpg

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got to buy a spiralizer lol. I am an Italian-Scot and bread, rice, potatoes and pasta have been staples in my family for years and years. Its proving terribly difficult to cut them out while cooking them for the family :-(

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I paid £3.45 on eBay (inc. p&p) for mine and it arrived two days later. Just make sure you don't get one from Hong Kong like my best friend did - its a month on and it still hasn't arrived!