Low Carb Starter Pack Shopping List

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Everyone

Im going to give the low carb diet a bash as Ive got to do something positive re my BS levels and Weight.

As a bit of a neanderthal re Veg / Salads ( the type that pulls lettuce out of burgers) its going to be hard but want to give it a good try so will force myself to eat more salad, but genuinely don't enjoy it.

What would be helpful though is that there are so many good looking recipes out there - what would be a some good ideas for staples as part of a shopping list.

I know there are basics - EGGS / PROTEIN / CREAM / MILK / CHEESE - (above ground Veg) but any little tips on what items seem to keep cropping up in recipes you like ?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
A few of our store cupboard basics are
nuts: walnuts
Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin, chia, linseeds
Sun dried tomatoes
jars of olives
preserved lemon
tins of tomatoes
tinned sardines
olive oil
various vinegars
capers​
These are all the sort of items which brighten up basic foods. For example, today we had an omelette for lunch, which had a few strips of sun dried tomato in it, along with grated cheese. I often add a few olives to salads and sprinkle some seeds over the top. You need to find what excites you, taste-wise.
Personally, I would start with a meal plan for the week, trying to dovetail items (e.g. roast chicken on Saturday, leftover cold chicken for Monday lunch, homemade chicken soup on Wednesday) and then make up your shopping list from there.
We almost always cook double quantity of things, freezing half to make our own, low carb, ready meal for the following week.
Sally

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since going LCHF I found that my tastes have changed. I didn't even like lettuce before (still don't like cucumber) and very few vegetables.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great suggestions here. Try to prepare for snacks too, that is often when I find it hardest. For this I have pork scratchings, cheese portions (babybel, martime), cured meat slices and also nuts.

Avocado's a good addition to your shopping list too - I live off them now!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower, Cauliflower, Cauliflower ! Rice it, Mash it, use it to make Pizza bases. Me I like it raw straight off the plant. Don't waste the leaves and the stalk, use them to make soup