Type 2 Low Carb Sweets

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning I get a dry mouth first thing in the morning ,and I am looking for a sweet to suck,only now and again,what are your thoughts on these please:)

Capture.JPG
Sweets.JPG

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If they are sweetened with maltitol use with caution. Too much causes explosive bathroom issues and it does not take much to be too much. Otherwise enjoy o_O:p

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
If they are sweetened with maltitol use with caution. Too much causes explosive bathroom issues and it does not take much to be too much. Otherwise enjoy o_O:p

Good morning @chalup my friend many thanks for your important inforemation much appreciated,I shall give these a miss and carry on searching:)

Which means when you see Maltitol on the label your body sees Glucose (50%) and Fructose (50%).This is just like sugar only slightly less of it gets absorbed.You also have the lovely benefit of wind-pain as well (if you eat more than 10-20g of the stuff).

Likewise when you see Isomalt on the label your body once again sees Glucose (50%), Fructose from Sorbitol (25%) and Fructose (25%).Again just like sugar.

Sure, these products (and many more like them) all have less calories than ones containing equivalent quantities of sugar.They achieve this because less of the sugar substitute makes it into your bloodstream. Instead it is feeding the little chaps in your large intestine.

But at the end of the day if fructose is what you are trying to avoid, you might as well be eating sugar for all you are achieving by eating these products.

People wanting to avoid fructose (and who doesn’t) should avoid products containing sorbitol, isomalt maltitol and mannitol.

Reactions: Keesha and chalup

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have the occasional Riccola (in a little box available from most supermarkets) either the Elderflower or licorice flavour but never more than one in a day. I always treat sugar free products carefully as I once had an adverse experience after eating 100g Thorntons Diabetic Brazil Nut Toffee. Fabulous taste but appalling and long lasting after effects.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You can get sugar free sweets like Sula, Ricola, and Werthers sugar free butter candies in most supermarkets,Holland & Barretts, and health food shops. Also available online.
They do contain a small amount of carbs, about 3-3.5 gms per sweet, but should be ok if you are only eating one in the morning.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You can get sugar free sweets like Sula, Ricola, and Werthers sugar free butter candies in most supermarkets,Holland & Barretts, and health food shops. Also available online.
They do contain a small amount of carbs, about 3-3.5 gms per sweet, but should be ok if you are only eating one in the morning.

I loved those Werthers sugar free butter candies but I haven't seen them for sale for over a year.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They are in Sainsburys, and I'm sure you can buy them online on Amazon.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
They have hellish high carb counts per 100g though!

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
My local hospital shop has a large range of sugar free sweets, e.g. Simpkins Travel sweets in a tin. Werthers sugar free are in Sainsbury's and Waitrose. Marks and Spencer's have little boxes of mints or fruit drops, and most places sell sugar free polos. Maltilol or isomalt is used in a lot of them, but providing you don't gorge on them they are usually fine. I sometimes suffer from travel sickness on coaches, and a mint usually helps.

Reactions: Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They have hellish high carb counts per 100g though!
Sugar alcohols are not usually counted towards your carb limit. The sugar free candy that I buy is sweetened with erythritol which has no GI effects and no impact on blood sugar.. It is expensive but worth it to me for the small amount I eat.

SBB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just been reading up on erythritol(sugar alcohols), and came across this site https://draxe.com/erythritol/ which does not give a good opinion on the GMO erythritol, he does give an alternative. I also need to mention that everyone is entitled to their opinion, which we can take on board or discard, I also believe that we should be wary of quality of conclusions from statistics; as Mark Twain/Disraeli/and me said: lies, damned lies and statistics.