Low carbing type 1s

JustDomUK

Hi

Been here for about a week or two now and was curious how many type 1s are here low carbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't "low carb" but I've certainly reduced my carb intake. Mainly because I'm more aware of them cos I spend my whole life bloody counting them lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Like the other guys I don't low-carb but eat them in moderation, I don't see the need to low-carb if you don't to and your otherwise healthy. However just like type 2's we do need to be aware of the impact of carbs on bg.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't call my diet low carb, but I'm trying to get there, and it's a lot lower-carb than it used to be, now that I've woken up and have started listening to the debate on this forum.....

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been 'reduced carbing' for last 2 years (around 150g) and have been 'low carbing' since September last year (around 30g)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!
I'm a low-carber. I generally keep my carbs to around 50g a day. I've maintained that level for about 4 years. LADA rather than full Type 1 though.

Smidge

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ..
I don't strictly low carb either, but keep to around 80-90 grams of carb a day. I don't eat Potatoes, Pasta,Pizza or Pastry, Cakes or biscuits but do eat a small amount of bread.
I eat vegetables and fruit instead of all the carbs I used to eat which was around 250 grams of carbs a day!
I have a pump and feel so much better with less carbs.
Thats not to say I am perfect though..I tend to slip up at times like xmas! But generally feel better on less carbs. My last HBA1c was 6.7

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as Cally but I slip a bit too. My main downfall is breakfast (cerials are hugely spikey) and after lunch (snacking :()

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I do on around 30 grams a day and so far that has enabled me to only need basal insulin for controlling my levels although I have the LADA variant of type 1.

iHs

Same as Cally but I slip a bit too. My main downfall is breakfast (cerials are hugely spikey) and after lunch (snacking :()

Dont know why exactly but Ive found that eating the cheaper basic brands of porridge (different names in different supermarkets) doesnt appear to make my bg levels go up high at all. I just use about 3 heaped small dsp in a bowl with some boiling water to just about cover it, wait for 10mins for the water to be absorbed and then add 1 dsp of thickish creamy yogurt, stir it all up and sit down and enjoy. Sometimes I use 2dsp of porridge with 2dsp of ground up almonds and that also is very nice and doesnt really cause any bad spike. Could be the porridge and the smaller flakes..... who knows, Be interesting to see if others get the same effect.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dont know why exactly but Ive found that eating the cheaper basic brands of porridge (different names in different supermarkets) doesnt appear to make my bg levels go up high at all. I just use about 3 heaped small dsp in a bowl with some boiling water to just about cover it, wait for 10mins for the water to be absorbed and then add 1 dsp of thickish creamy yogurt, stir it all up and sit down and enjoy. Sometimes I use 2dsp of porridge with 2dsp of ground up almonds and that also is very nice and doesnt really cause any bad spike. Could be the porridge and the smaller flakes..... who knows, Be interesting to see if others get the same effect.

Im Coeliac iHs so cant take part in that experiment. I know porridge takes me up and keeps me up - even very small portions.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried making porridge with just rice flakes (powa)
yep - didnt find it great taste or bg wise (although better bg wise)

I tend to stick to a nutty eat natural bar and a piece of fruit for breakfast although i did try a perkier pot of berry porrage this am and so far so good. But def dont feel 'well' (whatever that is!!lol)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Not ultra low carb - tend to stick to around 100g per day. Definitely helps keep he weight off which was an issue for me. Been at 9st 10lbs for over 2 years now and I eat a lot of everything else including veggys and also cheese and butter. I can't do without my toast in the morning and have found Burgen bread to be a complete life saver - no spikes. My favourite is smothered with butter and Marmite :)

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried Philadelphia and Marmite? It's yummy!
:)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
No but have both in the house so that's breakfast tomorrow sorted - thanks :cat: