low gi breakfast

chilli

Can someone tell me what are the best breakfast cereals to have, i am really struggeling with what will keep my bg down. since being diagnosed 5 weeks ago, my bg after breakfast is always high. i have tried alpen, brown toast, all other breakfast cereals and nothing is helping..now i dont know what to have anymore..its really worrying me. can i have ready brek? porridge oats?

Chilli

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
All the things you mention are carb laden foods.......you need to reduce or avoid these to reduce your Bg levels. Depending on the portion sizes you eat why not try reducing the portions by half and see what effect that has.

If no or negligible effect than like most of us you will need to avoid those foods, at least for a short time anyway till you gain better control of your Bg levels.. I love cereals but unless I have miniscule portions I cannot eat much of them. When I first started they were banned totally until my levels were better. Then some were slowly re-introduced.

Have you read the newbies advice myself and Sue regularly post here. That clearly explains what is a good strategy regarding foods and other things. You then have to see what you like to eat and see if it fits in with the information there. It works for many people and it is not low carbing, just sensible dietary advice based on experience, our own and others here.

As you are Gestational it would be advisable to discuss any changes with your Diabetic team, as your needs may be slightly different, however the basic advice is the same.

Ken

BeckyBump

Chilli,

I'm on my second GD pregnancy. All of the things you've mentioned would be too carby for me. I now have one slice of Vogel's Soya & Linseed toast (fewer carbs per slice than any other bread I've found) and some Total Greek Yoghurt (again the lowest carb count I've found). If my early morning reading is low enough I sprinkle some Lizi's granola on the yoghurt.

Becky

FoxyLady2000

I have actually tried porridge first with high bg results. I had 8.8 with skimmed milk 40g of porridge. I then searched online on different sites and I cannot remember which site it was on but I found a forum where it was suggested that eating some protein with the porridge could help. I was already having two eggs every now and again as I found out that it was a great low BG breakfast. So I decided to have 30g porridge with skimmed milk (and I added some cinnamon on top) and also 1 boiled egg. I knew from before that one should not have a cup of tea with eggs to get the full benefit as the tannins in tea would affect that, so instead I had some water with some lemon juice in. I had a 7.4 BG measure then. I then decided to try exact same thing but added a 15 minutes walk after the breakfast before measuring my BG and my result was a fantastic 6.1!!!! Now I am new here. In fact this is my first first message and I may be doing a lot of things wrong and that is why I am here to get advice on those from others. So now I am having a similar breakfast everyday with rather good results and I think I will keep it up till the end of the pregnancy.

jannie_k

Hi there, weetabix is a perfect cereal for us diabolicals, as it has no added sugar and doesn't needweighing and is slow release carb, just add a sweetener. Alpen is misleading as it's get added sugar,best to try cereals with no added sugar like bran flakes or rice crIspies and add ur own sweetener. hope this helps, good luck :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
jannie_k said:
Hi there, weetabix is a perfect cereal for us diabolicals, as it has no added sugar and doesn't needweighing and is slow release carb, just add a sweetener. Alpen is misleading as it's get added sugar,best to try cereals with no added sugar like bran flakes or rice crIspies and add ur own sweetener. hope this helps, good luck :)
Weetabix is 68.4% carb, Alpen has 66.9% carb (the no added sugar has 1% less) so they have almost the same carb content. . Weetabix, actually has a much higher GI than Alpen (weetabix 74-5, Alpen 55) ie it is faster. Alpen should be relatively kinder on glucose levels. However, both foods were tested using a 30g portion. It's just a guess but I suspect 30g of Alpen won't appear to be a very big portion.

katiem

Personally I can't do cereals at all, even porridge with water and cinnamon. Bacon and eggs (though not previously my first choice first thing!) with one slice of toast gives me a reading around the 6.0 mark.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hiya, I've found substituting milk for natural yogurt really brings down the GI, as does a handful of mixed seeds and/or nuts. Bacon, eggs, fish etc just give me heartburn.

The yogurt does taste rather odd at first but you get used to it, in fact I quite like the taste of unsweetened yogurt now! To sweeten, I used to add a spoon of no-added-sugar cranberry sauce (found in a healthfood shop), agave-nectar (a low GI sweetner without the aspartame etc that the jars are full of - try the "free-from" section of supermarkets) or some chopped dried apricots (Taste sweet but actually quite low GI).

Cereals in general are a nightmare but muesli made with a small amount of wholegrain rice puffs, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, seeds & apricots seems to be ok. cant eat shop bought muesli for other reasons now, but it was always full of raisins etc that made my sugars rocket anyway.

Best advice i got from the dietician was not to restrict yourself to typical breakfast foods - if you want a bowl of soup - go for it! last night's leftover apple and raspberry crumble with a little riceflour and ground almond topping...why not!

mat202

Get the day started on the right foot with this selection of low GI breakfast recipes including porridge, muffins and breakfast drinks.

Nik442

Hi, 1 x weetabix with alpro soya milk (light) and a few berries works for me.....reading on meter is high 5s 2hrs later.
Sometimes include a boiled egg or slice of cheese for variety.

Nik

Sparkley

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician told me that weetabix was good to eat. I bought loads of the bloody stuff, but my readings were sky high after eater two so I had to use my insulin injection :-(

I now just stick to scrambled eggs. Or yoghurt.

Exciting...!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG is sky high after any grains. I can eat 1 liv life toast slice, but that's all. :mad:

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Avoid as much processed food as possible, particularly things made with sugar, corn syrup, white flour, white rice and refined grains. Things I usually bring on hikes are:

Oatmeal, granola, muesli, multi-grain bagels, multi-grain english muffins, dried fruits, nuts
Air-cured Italian or German sausages, hard cheeses Smoked, jerked or canned/foil-pouched meats (beef/pork/venison/poultry/fish). Peanut butter, almond butter, multi-grain crackers, whole-grain brown rice, dry bean mix Whole wheat pasta, canned sauces, chicken bouillon packets, beef bouillon packets. Green beans, carrots, dried mushrooms, various spices, garlic, olive oil. Instant coffee, sugar-free drink mix, sugar-free sports drink mix, powdered milk. Honey, energy bars, energy gel shots, Snickers bars