Lowered insulin requirement.

MikeO1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the last three weeks I have had to reduce the amount of insulin I inject. I am currently on half
my original dosage. I had a blood test and have been told the results were good. I was diagnosed
10 years ago and not had to alter my insulin I use until now. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have been on amitriptyline for stress for a few years and it has worked up until now but the change
I am experiencing has me really worried.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you changed you diet at all ? have you lost any weight? On the positive side, it may simply be that your lifestyle is helping you to overcome your original insulin resistance and allowing you to reduce dosage?

Reactions: novorapidboi26

MikeO1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you changed you diet at all ? have you lost any weight? On the positive side, it may simply be that your lifestyle is helping you to overcome your original insulin resistance and allowing you to reduce dosage?
Thank you for your reply.
My diet has been the same for the last ten years. I have never been over weight. I have been told I inherited diabetes from my mother. I exercise every day walking around 10 miles and use weights every other day. I can't think of anything
that has changed in my life that would alter my insulin levels.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so long as your own finger prick blood tests are roughly within normal range I wouldn't worry, many T1Ds experience similar ratio and basal changes that we put down as 'seasonal changes' - which sometimes coincide with actual seasons!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed myself a distinct changed profile on the changing of the seasons, in my case up not down, but nothing about this stuff is all that predictable!.

Needing less insulin is a good thing :) so "keep calm and carry on " as they say :)

MikeO1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so long as your own finger prick blood tests are roughly within normal range I wouldn't worry, many T1Ds experience similar ratio and basal changes that we put down as 'seasonal changes' - which sometimes coincide with actual seasons!

MikeO1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reassuring messages. I was corrected by my family when they saw I had
said my diet hadn't changed. Since returning from my holiday in France in September I have
been having a glass of red wine every evening. I have done a bit of research online and there
are reports of it lowering blood sugar.