Lows

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am type 2 on diet alone as I can not tolerate the meds.
I always seem to go below 4 before bed, but today had half a jacket potatoes with cheese and beans, checked blood 1.5 hrs later 10.7 so drank bottle water and waited 2 hrs checked again now 5.
My DN does not agree with carb watching or testing but just trying to understand why it does this.
Opinions would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does that because you are a type 2 diabetic and you are eating more carbs than your body can cope with.
I tried eating a small amount of potato a while ago and got a 12, other similar foods gave similar readings, so I stick to low carb foods and I see low levels on the meter.
It doesn't really matter what your nurse believes - carbs count, and the way you eat will have consequences for your well being.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I always seem to go below 4 before bed, but today had half a jacket potatoes with cheese and beans, checked blood 1.5 hrs later 10.7 so drank bottle water and waited 2 hrs checked again now 5.
My DN does not agree with carb watching or testing but just trying to understand why it does this.
Thanks in advance

How low below 4 do you go?
Some posters on here can live comfortable with those readings without problems.
Your dn is just following the cost cutting dogma which leads to complications. You need to find out what foods you can't tolerate.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go down to as far as 3 but it happen again at 3 am so then I eat 3 jelly babies.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I have had porridge for breakfast.
Cheese and pickle lunch.
Sugar free jelly pot.
Half jacket potatoes, cheese and beans tea.
Bloods have been :-

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes drop to the low 3s over night but my liver kicks in and brings me back up again. I imagine yours would, too. When you have tested and found a low 3, how have you felt? Normal?

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No not normal.....shaky, confused and very sweaty

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Today I have had porridge for breakfast.
Cheese and pickle lunch.
Sugar free jelly pot.
Half jacket potatoes, cheese and beans tea.
Bloods have been :-

Obviously too many carbs!
I believe you need to speak with your GP.
Explain to your GP, what is happening and when, if you have a food diary, that will help explain your experience.
No not normal.....shaky, confused and very sweaty

Those are either hypos or false hypos!

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
your levels are matching what you eat, presuming the 5.1 is your fasting reading...

5.1-6.4
Porridge, depending on volume can be hard to eat without huge spikes, i can just about tolerate 25g of porridge every other day without it spiking, the larger the grains generally the better steer clear of any of the instant pot or packet types they are loaded with sugar.

6.4-4.3
cheese and pickle / sugar free jelly, essentially low carb depending on the carbs in the jelly and pickle

4.3-10.7

Jacket potato and the beans are the culprits here.

I tried several times to come off my meds at the time i was on metformin and after 3 years it still caused me huge problems daily even the slow release type. My doctor was not at all understanding and tried to force me onto insulin, fortunately i was asked by another doctor who was from the endo dept at the hospital to try some alternative drugs, in the form of januvia (sitagliptin) and glizcaacide the difference these drugs made to my life was simply huge.

It didn't completely control my levels it improved them significantly, a year ago i was offered Bydureon by my DN and that improved things further, but I only got good control with a low carb diet. I know we are all different and foods affect us all differently but I honestly think a LCHF diet is the best way to manage our levels.

My previous DN sounds very much like yours between the DN and the doctor they made life very difficult, repeatedly telling me as a type 2 you don't need to test, stating we will tell you how you are doing at your checkups, apparently the thought of testing is too depressing for type 2's to deal with. I don't know what meds you have tried that react badly but there other treatments than just the cheaper drugs they want you to be on some of which may not cause you so many problems. Have you tried speaking with an endo at your local hospital, from experience they seem to be less set in their ways.

I started getting hypo symptoms initially at 5.2, numb hands etc, at 4.8 it started to affect my vision, i panicked initially and ate some carbs to raise my levels often into double figures, but that just leads to your body being used to those levels, once I resisted the urge to have carbs I let the symptoms continue whilst monitoring my levels they never went below 3.5. After a few days the hypo symptoms began to start around 4 -4.2

I'm still reluctant to let it go lower before bed, so sometime i may have a single oatcake or 1/4 of a slice of toast just for peace of mind, i'm still trying to get a stable lower level as I have some retinopathy issues but for now on waking my levels are around 5 and stay within 1.5 of that all day occasionally it will drop to around 4.3 but at least for now it doesn't seem to go below that.

I generally ate around 25-35g of carbs a day for the first few weeks slowing adding some more carb from time to time, Ican actually eat a couple of slices of toast now and stay under 6.5 but i treat toast as a rare treat, for now anyway.

Apologies this was a little long winded and rambling :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
your levels are matching what you eat, presuming the 5.1 is your fasting reading...

5.1-6.4
Porridge, depending on volume can be hard to eat without huge spikes, i can just about tolerate 25g of porridge every other day without it spiking, the larger the grains generally the better steer clear of any of the instant pot or packet types they are loaded with sugar.

6.4-4.3
cheese and pickle / sugar free jelly, essentially low carb depending on the carbs in the jelly and pickle

4.3-10.7

Jacket potato and the beans are the culprits here.

I tried several times to come off my meds at the time i was on metformin and after 3 years it still caused me huge problems daily even the slow release type. My doctor was not at all understanding and tried to force me onto insulin, fortunately i was asked by another doctor who was from the endo dept at the hospital to try some alternative drugs, in the form of januvia (sitagliptin) and glizcaacide the difference these drugs made to my life was simply huge.

It didn't completely control my levels it improved them significantly, a year ago i was offered Bydureon by my DN and that improved things further, but I only got good control with a low carb diet. I know we are all different and foods affect us all differently but I honestly think a LCHF diet is the best way to manage our levels.

My previous DN sounds very much like yours between the DN and the doctor they made life very difficult, repeatedly telling me as a type 2 you don't need to test, stating we will tell you how you are doing at your checkups, apparently the thought of testing is too depressing for type 2's to deal with. I don't know what meds you have tried that react badly but there other treatments than just the cheaper drugs they want you to be on some of which may not cause you so many problems. Have you tried speaking with an endo at your local hospital, from experience they seem to be less set in their ways.

I started getting hypo symptoms initially at 5.2, numb hands etc, at 4.8 it started to affect my vision, i panicked initially and ate some carbs to raise my levels often into double figures, but that just leads to your body being used to those levels, once I resisted the urge to have carbs I let the symptoms continue whilst monitoring my levels they never went below 3.5. After a few days the hypo symptoms began to start around 4 -4.2

I'm still reluctant to let it go lower before bed, so sometime i may have a single oatcake or 1/4 of a slice of toast just for peace of mind, i'm still trying to get a stable lower level as I have some retinopathy issues but for now on waking my levels are around 5 and stay within 1.5 of that all day occasionally it will drop to around 4.3 but at least for now it doesn't seem to go below that.

I generally ate around 25-35g of carbs a day for the first few weeks slowing adding some more carb from time to time, Ican actually eat a couple of slices of toast now and stay under 6.5 but i treat toast as a rare treat, for now anyway.

Apologies this was a little long winded and rambling :)
Glicizide can cause hypos.
If you are experiencing hypo symptoms, this will be caused by your meds, it could be possible to reduce your meds if you are low carbing enough not spike you.
Consult your GP,
If you are at or near normal levels, the need for meds can be unnecessary.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glicizide can cause hypos.
If you are experiencing hypo symptoms, this will be caused by your meds, it could be possible to reduce your meds if you are low carbing enough not spike you.
Consult your GP,
If you are at or near normal levels, the need for meds can be unnecessary.

In her first post she said she was diet only, no meds.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thanks in advance
My bugbear seems to be potatoes too - never more than 4 small boiled ones at a time. Maybe just have the cheese and beans rather than all 3?