Lows

jazglo

Hello, I have been in the background on the forum since not long after my type 1 diagnosis about 6 months ago (I am 37 and in Australia). It has been incredibly helpful to me many times over. I have a question.... I have recently started getting a lot more lows over the last 2 weeks and in particular the last two to three days. I eat an average of 60g carbs a day, organic and clean eating aside from a bit of dark chocolate in the eve. I haven't changed anything. Maybe a tiny bit more exercise, but not everyday. Can honeymoon start 6 months in or could this be something else? I have lost weight but not fast. My diabetes educators/nurse says I still have some insulin production, she estimates 20-30%. I'm not sure.Any advice? Thanks heaps!

jazglo

More lows overnight, so does not appear to be going away. I have no idea why my insulin requirements would be decreasing when I would assume they should be going up as my remaining beta cells are killed off. For now I have dialled down my basal by10% across the board on my pump and hope that helps until I can contact my endocrinologist on Monday.

debbiiee

Did your GAD antibody tests come out positive? There is a possibility for honeymoon phase, but look into the idiopathic type 1 diabetes thread, incase you may have Ketosis prone diabetes(KPD) if you dont have any autoantibodies against beta cells.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed 16 month ago I managed to keep the honeymoon going nearly all last year at one point I was on no insulin at all then oct it started to go up till now just look at anything and levels go up
I was doing a lot of road cycling and they recon that help the honeymoon last longer
And I was 46 when diagnosed And my GAD was of the scale too

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Honeymoon starting 6 months after initial diagnosis would be pretty typical. It takes a while for your beta cells to recover from the ordeal of carrying the whole load pre diagnosis.

Gently dial down your basal dose first of all, and then look at possibly tweaking your bolus ratios.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Insulin needs can go with weather too. We are just warming up here in UK and with the hour change as well then for me it is generally 2-3 weeks after the clocks go forward that I have to really change my insulin dramatically... And then in November it always reverses.

I wouldnt worry to be honest, it doesnt matter how much insulin you need or change, so long as you can keep levels in normal range.