Lumpy injection sites in toddler

Emmadixon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone I'm a parent of a type1 toddler and where having a few issues with injections sites. Because he's so small and slim we have limited place to inject... Legs and bum only, one of his legs his particularly lumpy and even though where rotating injection sites i don't feel it's getting any better my questions are....
How long does it normally take for the lumps to disperse and the site to be useable again?

Any tips on better rotation? As much as I try i know full well I inject in the same place more than once mainly because I also have a 6 month old and often can't remember where I did previously,

Also any tips of reducing bruising? Because we're are left with limited space it seems to be the areas u would avoid unless needed because the skin is much softer would we be best avoiding these completely?

Any advice would be grateful

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
http://doctorsgates.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/common-recommended-sites-for-insulin.html

here is a link for a diagram.on injecting.

I try to put about an inch of space between each injection and with a toddler you should only be using 4mm needles i think ( hope so anyway )
my hospital have just put an 18 month baby on a pump -- might a pump be an option in your case ?
then it is only 1 cannula change every 3 days ( but a lot of work with a pump too )

all the best

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some great advice from @himtoo.

I'd also have a word with he's paediatric diabetes team if you haven't done so already @Emmadixon.

jenhop187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found a website through diabetes UK that sell little tattoes for rotating injection sites. They do designs for kids too. I'm 28 diagnosed fen this year type 1. I use them as I can never remember and also I'm not yet very confident in injecting in public, so often just do it as quick as I can without really paying much attention to the site. Afraid I can't help in regards to bruising, sometimes completely painless other times I end up with big black brusing that lasts for days. Try googling tattoos see if you can find them.

Emmadixon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys that's really helpful, @himtoo he's hopefully going on the pump before Christmas so fingers crossed

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
all my fingers now duly crossed --bless you and your son and the whole family -- can't have been easy since diagnosis ( voice of experience me- haha )-- it you need a shoulder or a friendly ear i am around most every day --message me if you want any help :)

take care
all the best
paul