Lunchtime ratio

steveo4

Need some help have got brain fog at the moment and just can't work it out. I'm trying to get the correct ratio for my lunchtime bolus. I need to do for every 10g of carbs take 1/2 unit of insulin but then add another 2units to it. Ie 70g of carbs take 5.5 units but just can't work out what the ratio will be

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The carb ratio is 1 unit per ?g carbs

5.5 units for 70g

Therefore 1 unit for 70 ÷ 5.5 = 12.727g

Obviously, for ease you would use whole numbers. I'm old enough to know my 12 times table and I'm not too bad with the 13 times table. 12.727 is closer to 13, so your ratio would be 1:13. You would therefore divide your total carbs by 13 to find the number of units for a meal. The result would be rounded off to the nearest half unit.

Remember that carb ratios may change, for a variety of reasons, and you could end up with different ratios for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Luckily, calculators are found in mobile phones, where necessary.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Need some help have got brain fog at the moment and just can't work it out. I'm trying to get the correct ratio for my lunchtime bolus. I need to do for every 10g of carbs take 1/2 unit of insulin but then add another 2units to it. Ie 70g of carbs take 5.5 units but just can't work out what the ratio will be
Hi. Your ratio is .5 per 10g Carbs plus 2. Because you add the 2 you won't be able to work out a single ratio formula to cover all carb amounts.

What you could do is work out how many units to take with meals in 10g incriments and keep it as a note on paper or your phone. So work out

(G x .5) + 2

Where G is grams of carbs and do it for every value from 10 to 100 or even higher if needed. (but don't add the G=50 to the G=100 to work out 150 grams. Otherwise you'll add 4 extra units.)