Macadamia Nuts Disaster

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I certainly learned my lesson today: no more mindless grazing on nuts in the car just cos 'I fancy a low carb snack'. I didn't read the label and before I knew it over 100 grams was gone at a very costly 900 calories .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
low carb and high fat... I'm going through them like there's no tomorrow.... 250g for £1 at Tesco... nearly a bag every three days. yum yum yum yum

I should add, I don't cal count or any other count.

:)

MissMac

low carb and high fat... I'm going through them like there's no tomorrow.... 250g for £1 at Tesco... nearly a bag every three days. yum yum yum yum

Does that mean you don't count the carbs? xx

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2

They are very delicious indeed. I have however noticed that after 7 weeks of counting carbs and calories, and successfully losing 22 pounds, my weight loss has now stalled since I stopped counting calories ten days ago (felt ). My BG is going down though but I have a feeling weight loss won't continue without counting calories.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does that mean you don't count the carbs? xx
I tried but lost the will.... and yet the weight fell off me when I dropped the carbs.
I don't eat anything that has more than 10% carbs unless it is a very small amount, usually for flavouring.
No potato, pasta, rice, bread... so that leaves meat, veg and fats, cheese, avocado and nuts. My diet is very repetitive but I make sure it is the best I can afford, I prepare all my food from fresh and I enjoy eating more or less anything.... if it don't have carbs.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are very delicious indeed. I have however noticed that after 7 weeks of counting carbs and calories, and successfully losing 22 pounds, my weight loss has now stalled since I stopped counting calories ten days ago (felt ). My BG is going down though but I have a feeling weight loss won't continue without counting calories.

Where would you say you are on where you would like to be in terms of weight loss? 10 kgs is a good start.
Are you able to do any exercise?
How strict are you with eating between meals? I find this a hard one as sometimes I think I would like to graze through out the day and not eat so much at my evening meal... which is a major challenge for me as I enjoy cooking the evening meal. This would be good as my BG would not have such a large spike after said meal... but only do it at holiday time... when I do eat too much.
I did find no grazing between meals really did help me lose weight.

If you think carb counting helps you focus on your food intake then I would suggest you do it. Most of this stuff is about finding a routine that works for you and then sticking to it.... the latter bit being the tricky bit.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Where would you say you are on where you would like to be in terms of weight loss? 10 kgs is a good start.
Are you able to do any exercise?
How strict are you with eating between meals? I find this a hard one as sometimes I think I would like to graze through out the day and not eat so much at my evening meal... which is a major challenge for me as I enjoy cooking the evening meal. This would be good as my BG would not have such a large spike after said meal... but only do it at holiday time... when I do eat too much.
I did find no grazing between meals really did help me lose weight.

If you think carb counting helps you focus on your food intake then I would suggest you do it. Most of this stuff is about finding a routine that works for you and then sticking to it.... the latter bit being the tricky bit.

Ideally 30 more kgs. I walk the dog twice a day for 30 mins each time and exercise with kettle bells appr three times a week; they are only short 20 minute sessions.

Grazing is a major issue for me and it wasn't until I started this WOE that I discovered how many little bits of food would find their way into my mouth, half the time without me even realising it! The HF part has made that part a lot easier though as for the first time in like forever, I'm not actually that hungry.

I track macronutrients on MyFitnessPal (until about ten days ago) and find looking at the pie chart at the end of the day fascinating as it clearly proves this way of eating is completely doable; not only that, it's delicious too...I feel infinitely better.

Like you, I enjoy a fairly simple and repetitive diet. I'm happy with ham, cheese, some cucumber and nuts for lunch, often with some mayo and maybe a piece of 85% dark chocolate. I like a cafetière coffee with some double cream and meat, avocado and eggs for tea.

I'm also dabbling with fasting but need to do my own research to discover whether this is beneficial to me.

I do need to stop eating in between meals as I think this may be my downfall (I did not need those macadamia nuts today!!). Maybe even lower carbs...

Can I ask how much weight you've lost/ how much your BG has improved and how long it's all taken you hankjam?

Mona

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ideally 30 more kgs. I walk the dog twice a day for 30 mins each time and exercise with kettle bells appr three times a week; they are only short 20 minute sessions.

Grazing is a major issue for me and it wasn't until I started this WOE that I discovered how many little bits of food would find their way into my mouth, half the time without me even realising it! The HF part has made that part a lot easier though as for the first time in like forever, I'm not actually that hungry.

I track macronutrients on MyFitnessPal (until about ten days ago) and find looking at the pie chart at the end of the day fascinating as it clearly proves this way of eating is completely doable; not only that, it's delicious too...I feel infinitely better.

Like you, I enjoy a fairly simple and repetitive diet. I'm happy with ham, cheese, some cucumber and nuts for lunch, often with some mayo and maybe a piece of 85% dark chocolate. I like a cafetière coffee with some double cream and meat, avocado and eggs for tea.

I'm also dabbling with fasting but need to do my own research to discover whether this is beneficial to me.

I do need to stop eating in between meals as I think this may be my downfall (I did not need those macadamia nuts today!!). Maybe even lower carbs...

Can I ask how much weight you've lost/ how much your BG has improved and how long it's all taken you hankjam?

Mona

Hi Mona
I went from 95 to 70 kg in about 12 months in a fairly steady rate of loss, it did flatten out, which was good as I was getting a bit worried that it wouldn't. BG's have been generally good and mostly under 6 for fasting and before evening meals. I only test three times a day now, morning, before and after evening meal.
I think the walking is the best thing for me. I've had a frozen shoulder and the physio put me on a bunch of exercises, which have helped and probably help my muscle tone.... I lost a lot of muscle as well as lard.......... a glass of water is a good way to beat off a nibble between meals... or black coffee for me.

You sound to be doing good.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a great weight loss. Very inspiring. I'll keep doing what I'm doing with an eye on lowering carbs and stopping the grazing.
I'm currently in 'summer holiday mode' but as soon as the new term starts, I will be moving and walking more and not so tempted by food in between meals.

Thank you for your replies!

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a great weight loss. Very inspiring. I'll keep doing what I'm doing with an eye on lowering carbs and stopping the grazing.
I'm currently in 'summer holiday mode' but as soon as the new term starts, I will be moving and walking more and not so tempted by food in between meals.

Thank you for your replies!

Well done sounds like you are doing great @marathonmona
How many cals are you having and how many carbs?

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Debbiedoodles,

I was having between 1200 and 1400 cals and 30-50 grams carbs a day.

Since I've stopped tracking I think both have probably crept up. Time to count again... :O

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your body probably said to itself well then she is back to feeding me and I can let some of this go now. Sounds silly but sometimes I think it works just like that when you are low calorie for a while. Sometimes it is good to throw a higher cal day in once in a while just to keep your body from digging in.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree. Every time I have a "bad" evening, grazing on carbs after my low carb evening meal, my weight has dropped by about a pound the following morning. I would have thought the carbs would go straight to glycogen, which is stored with water, so weight gain, but instead, the occassional carb boost seems to increase my metabolic rate. However, I don't do it too often, as despite the weight loss my sugars spike too high when I am naughty.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems men lose weight quicker than women on a LCHF diet (generally speaking) something to do with muscle mass they tell me. I don't like nuts very much but it looks as though I'll have to limit the cheese snacking.
Are there a lot of carbs in macadamia nuts or is it the fat you're looking at?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
S
It seems men lose weight quicker than women on a LCHF diet (generally speaking) something to do with muscle mass they tell me. I don't like nuts very much but it looks as though I'll have to limit the cheese snacking.
Some carbs like all nuts but they are among the lowest. Macadamias are extremely high in fats and calories though. Marathonmona's 900 calorie oops was probably less than a cup of nuts.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100g, 4 oz
718 calories
76% fat, 59% monosat :)
Total carb 14%
Dietary fiber 9% :happy:

Win Win Win

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 308541

100g, 4 oz
718 calories
76% fat, 59% monosat :)
Total carb 14%
Dietary fiber 9% :happy:

Win Win Win
I must have a chat with my neighbour to see if he has raked up under his Macadamia tree lately. I usually get a bucket full from him if he has.

Mmmmmm! Macadamias my favourite... :D

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh I wish, the cheapest I can find in town is 14.99 $ for 250 grams. OUCH