Macadamias, what's all the fuss about?

Doczoc

Bought a packet from Morrison's today, salted roasted macadamia nuts , 10. something grams of carbs per 100 grams - so not that low, tasted OK but salty as hell! Ate a few but got pretty sick of the saltiness quite quickly! Am I missing something? I can easily live without them...

Jo123

Well I get the unsalted ones from tesco's, I just like the richness of them, nice with some 86% choc and a glass of red wine for an evening snack.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WEll Doczoc, you might judt podt them to me. I've not had any this week.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Wait till Jem and Graham sees this thread.they will be round at your door!! :lol: :lol:
Macs are low in carbs which is part of their appeal,you could try washing them if you don't like the salt.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You've got some funny Maca's there Doczoc. The Sainsbury's ones I have say 4.8g carbs per 100g, which I think is about right. So, one of their 60g bags is just under 3g carbs. And with a glass of rioja, ye cannae whack it!

All the best,

fergus

saz1

Oh, they're gorgeous!!!!I get the unsalted ones though and they are so nice and rich! I'll be experimenting with some macadamia and 86% chocolate cookie baking when I receive my gluten. I bet they are nice in a bread too! :lol:

Doczoc

Looks like I got some turkeys then. I'll look out for the unsalted ones, I was a bit confused by the 10.something grams of carbs, I had read they were much lower than that. I'll give the tescos ones one last chance. I like the sound of combining them with some 85% chocolate. Not had ANY choc since diagnosis...

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Doczoc,

I always eat my macas raw and unsalted, preferably within easy reach of a single malt.

Fancy Morrison's putting salt on 'em. That's pure muppetry.

Regards,
timo.

Doczoc

timo2 said:
Hi Doczoc,

I always eat my macas raw and unsalted, preferably within easy reach of a single malt.

Fancy Morrison's putting salt on 'em. That's pure muppetry.

Regards,
timo.

Washed the salt off them, not bad at all. Can't eat too many though, they are so rich.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I prefer Sainsburys lightly salted just right :) :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just nailed a pack of Sainsbury's macas.

Jealous? :wink:

stevied

Seeing as we're talking nuts Tesco's Brazil Nuts come in at 3.1gms of carb per 100gms.I like Macca's but prefer the Brazils.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I went crazy in Holland and Barrett because their's were half price, but now I've gone off them again (I have like 4 packets in my cupboard) Probably not for long though. :wink:

Jo123

Doczoc said:
Looks like I got some turkeys then. I'll look out for the unsalted ones, I was a bit confused by the 10.something grams of carbs, I had read they were much lower than that. I'll give the tescos ones one last chance. I like the sound of combining them with some 85% chocolate. Not had ANY choc since diagnosis...

I have cote d'or chocolate from tesco's, from memory around 5 carbs for three large squares and no effect on my BG, which seems to shoot up when I try adding any low gi carbs!! I think with the chocolate being so low in carbs doesn't set off any cravings for more, I feel quite satisfied with a couple of bits.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my macas from Lidl. They come in a tin and are lightly salted but by far the best I've tasted. I wonder if the tin has something to do with it. I have had some roasted ones from Macro but they were awful.
I bought two tins yesterday, one was polished off by me and then my daughter, the other was sacrificed to my granddaughters, slightly pre-chewed for the 14 month old! Jenny, the almost 5 year old, loves grating them with her teeth. Her other love is pistachios. She can't say pistachios so does the pinching motion (getting the shells off) with her fingers.

wiflib

C

catherinecherub

If you go to Youtube and search for Brain Boosters: Food that Makes you smarter, there is a video by Lola Berry explaining all the positives about Macadamias. Well worth a watch. Tried to post the link but wont work.
Catherine.

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.
Forget nuts, tell me more about this 85% chocolate. PLEASE. :D

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Dippy,
I buy Sainsburys Taste the difference 85% cocoa solids chocolate, 4.8g carbs per 25g worth a try if you like dark chocolate.

Cheers Graham