Mackerel

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Is smoked mackerel high in carbs and what about other oily fish?
Holy Mackerel!!!! Sorry couldn't resist, it's a common expression in my neck of the woods. :) The thing about Mackerel is it's very oily but it's good fat not bad fat so assuming you like the taste - your body will likely thank you for that. We eat baked mackerel and it has no affect on my Blood Sugars.

Reactions: pluto1a

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mackerel is probably one of the best fish for you - but definitely check the tinned stuff which may be covered with high carb sugary sauces! It's good for you - full of oils including a high percentage of omega 3, and is ideal as part of an LCHF diet. It's also easy on the pocket, usually being one of the cheapest of the fresh oily fish that you can buy - others being salmon, trout, tuna.

@fletchweb - baked mackerel with onion and tomato used to be a staple dish on my basic (but well pre-diabetes!) diet when I was first married and completely broke!

Robbity

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think all fish are pretty good for LCHF. As others have said watch the sauces etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is smoked mackerel high in carbs and what about other oily fish?

No carbs. We buy the vacuum pack mackerel from Aldi, each pack contains 3-4 fillets and it's exceptional value at around £1.29p :)

D

Deleted Account

If I want to know how many carbs in a certain food, I just google "carbs in ...". The results are usually pretty good. Although one thing that has caught me out is food that is high in fibre. For example, dates are 75% of carbs but 8% of this are fibre which is not digested. So, you only need to consider 67% of carbs.
I know this is still high in carbs (and most of it is sugar) so not ideal for a LCHF diet - it is just an example. Bran flakes is another example ... but less yummy.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Smoked mackerel is high calorie [typically 302kcal/100g] but is very filling, aids satiety and is a useful part of a LCHF diet. It also provides typically, 2g of EPA & DHA per serving. The omega-3 content could be useful if you're totally Statin intolerant, such as myself. My main reservation is that smoked foods should not be eaten too often as the smoking process is carcinogenic.

I think tinned mackerel, in tomato sauce is a good option. A 125g tin contains no added sugar, only minimal C/H from the tomato and 168kcal/100g with 3.4g omega-3 per can.

I would avoid tinned mackerel in oil, which is likely to be sunflower oil [omega-6].

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want to know how many carbs in a certain food, I just google "carbs in ...". The results are usually pretty good. Although one thing that has caught me out is food that is high in fibre. For example, dates are 75% of carbs but 8% of this are fibre which is not digested. So, you only need to consider 67% of carbs.
I know this is still high in carbs (and most of it is sugar) so not ideal for a LCHF diet - it is just an example. Bran flakes is another example ... but less yummy.

You need to be aware that the US and UK measure the carbs in their food stuffs differently - the USA include fibre in their total, and this then gets to be subtracted to give "net carbs". In the UK we record fibre separately so it shouldn't ever be subtracted from our total carbs figure. It can sometimes make a big difference, so you really need to know which system you are looking at.

Robbity

fatary

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Holy Mackerel!!!! Sorry couldn't resist, it's a common expression in my neck of the woods. :) The thing about Mackerel is it's very oily but it's good fat not bad fat so assuming you like the taste - your body will likely thank you for that. We eat baked mackerel and it has no affect on my Blood Sugars.
That's great because I love and eat it at least 3 times each week. Thanks.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
tinned mackerel in brine - with a side chaser of an oat cake - useful for when you get the munchies!

Reactions: mist

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Tinned tuna is my go to..:D

Praise be John West..:p
Ha ha! I always remember a few years ago when I took a mackerel and tuna salad into work - the reactions of my colleagues were hilarious - couldn't stand the smell! Mind you, I do remember a lady who used to bring hard boiled eggs in for breakfast - yuk! To each their own!

M

mist

Ha ha! I always remember a few years ago when I took a mackerel and tuna salad into work - the reactions of my colleagues were hilarious - couldn't stand the smell! Mind you, I do remember a lady who used to bring hard boiled eggs in for breakfast - yuk! To each their own!

I like to spread mayo onto half a hard boiled egg and then roll it it tuna chunks..:D

It's a fishy scotch egg! :p

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I like to spread mayo onto half a hard boiled egg and then roll it it tuna chunks..:D

It's a fishy scotch egg! :p
Ha ha - nice one!