Made a silly mistake eating half an M&S Danish!

Carole12

I did a crazy thing yesterday by eating half a M&S lemon and sultana Danish cake….my spike at 8.3mmol stayed high for two hours and didn’t come way down to 6.2mmol until 3 hours! I didn’t even enjoy that half cake! I hope I haven’t blown my 3 month HbA1c check up due this month!

I’ve seen some Victoria sponge cakes made with almond and coconut flour ,eggs, butter, whipped cream and homemade stewed strawberries with no added sweetener of any kind. Any thoughts or recipes?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's anold saying that "One swallow does not a summer make " so I think you'll find that
One half a M&S lemon and sultana Danish cake
definitelty does not a high HbA1c make

You've had ONE fairly small rise on one day eating that, and it's hardly going to have a huge impact on 3 months worth of 24/7 glucose levels needed to calculate your HbA1c. Just don't do it all day every day though.... :hungry: :oops:

Butter and eggs are perfecty good and regular low carb ingredients and various nut and seed flours are fine too. I originally adapted my existing baking recipes to low carb versions using ground almonds or other nut flours (hazelnut, pecan, walnut, sesame - I never get good results using coconut flour though) with erythritol/stevia for sweetening, and keeping the usual eggs, butter, raising agent, spices ,floavourings, etc. I don't have any issues with resulting glucose levels.

We used to have a T1 forum member who had a "Diabetic Good Baking" web site, and we have a long term low carb recipes thread on the forum, and various threads or posts with recipes or links to recipes.

For Victoria sponge recipes checkout https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=low+carb+Victoria+sponge+cake
or for general baking
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/baking or do a Google search for specific recipes and include low carb or keto in your search terms and you'll find many suitable (and some very exellent) low carb baking recpes to last you several lifetimes.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it is important not to beat ourselves up over food.
To me, your experience with your Danish is not a mistake but is a lesson. Theoretical BG rises are one thing but seeing the rise for real has a much bigger impact.
That said, 8 agree with @Robbity that the rise was not that high and, over 3 months will have little affect on you hba1c.
Please be nice to yourself and banish any guilt you feel

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a YouTube channel called ‘all day I think about food’ a catchy little title hey, lol! I’ve recently made her Italian ricotta cake and it didn’t spike my BG even though I had 2 slices with a dollop of sour cream. I’m trying her blueberry cheesecake next. I try not to make too many bakery items as this keeps my sweet cravings alive but I’m visiting friends in August and want to take puddings so I wont be tempted by heavy carb ones.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I did a crazy thing yesterday by eating half a M&S lemon and sultana Danish cake….my spike at 8.3mmol stayed high for two hours and didn’t come way down to 6.2mmol until 3 hours! I didn’t even enjoy that half cake! I hope I haven’t blown my 3 month HbA1c check up due this month!

I’ve seen some Victoria sponge cakes made with almond and coconut flour ,eggs, butter, whipped cream and homemade stewed strawberries with no added sweetener of any kind. Any thoughts or recipes?
That does sound nice, but for myself I have found it better to drastically reduce puddings and sweets as they incite my body to crave. I used to make my own Almond cake up until about 18 months ago, as I knew exactly wat was in it. x

Reactions: Pipp

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
That does sound nice, but for myself I have found it better to drastically reduce puddings and sweets as they incite my body to crave. I used to make my own Almond cake up until about 18 months ago, as I knew exactly what was in it. x

Reactions: Carole12

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As an add-on to the above good advice, maybe the worst thing was not enjoying it!

Reactions: HellyMac

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I caved yesterday whilst ironing! I spotted a Twix in the cupboard and well I ate it! I felt thoroughly sick afterwards as it was so sickly sweet but at the same time I liked it! Had I not spotted it in the cupboard I wouldn't have eaten it and not craved it. I was so hungry afterwards I dared not check my bg. Thankfully this morning bg was relatively normal. A lesson learned for me not to divulge again and more importantly not to have the evil stuff in the house full stop :facepalm:

Carole12

I caved yesterday whilst ironing! I spotted a Twix in the cupboard and well I ate it! I felt thoroughly sick afterwards as it was so sickly sweet but at the same time I liked it! Had I not spotted it in the cupboard I wouldn't have eaten it and not craved it. I was so hungry afterwards I dared not check my bg. Thankfully this morning bg was relatively normal. A lesson learned for me not to divulge again and more importantly not to have the evil stuff in the house full stop :facepalm:

I know what you mean it it’s how we learn I guess and must just remember next time we’re tempted. I just baked a keto Victoria Sponge and it was lovely. Nice texture too but I had to put some no added sugar St Dalfour Jam on it and of course there’s the cream too. I didn’t even add any sweetener to the cake. I took a reading and everything was within normal range. Just to make sure I took it again after another 15mins had passed and it was on its way down. I guess that's a winner! I enjoyed it far far more than the M&S cheat!

Now I’m a little concerned about fats ….im not sure if there’s a limit on good and saturated fats per day! ….but that’s another story.

maine1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean it it’s how we learn I guess and must just remember next time we’re tempted. I just baked a keto Victoria Sponge and it was lovely. Nice texture too but I had to put some no added sugar St Dalfour Jam on it and of course there’s the cream too. I didn’t even add any sweetener to the cake. I took a reading and everything was within normal range. Just to make sure I took it again after another 15mins had passed and it was on its way down. I guess that's a winner! I enjoyed it far far more than the M&S cheat!

Now I’m a little concerned about fats ….im not sure if there’s a limit on good and saturated fats per day! ….but that’s another story.
Hi Carole, keto Victoria sponge sounds lovely. Have you got the recipe? Oh and don’t worry about the half danish you had earlier… it shouldn’t affect your blood review on a 1 off.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Carole12

Hi Carole, keto Victoria sponge sounds lovely. Have you got the recipe? Oh and don’t worry about the half danish you had earlier… it shouldn’t affect your blood review on a 1 off.
It really is delicious!! First off I used only Almond flour. Secondly I used full cream Greek Yoghurt instead of cream cheese(I never had that in my fridge). Her fresh fruit puréed jam looks lovely. I did a few strawberries puréed but I used more of the St Dalfour jam to spread.

• Friendly
Reactions: maine1965

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

My understanding is - it's fats in the presence of high-carbs. Carbs, in terms of consumption, especially the higher amounts - is optional - fats is not. (ie you need to eat fats to survive, let alone thrive.) The jam is the thing that would've spiked you, if it was going to. And - wow on the no-sweetener in the cake batter! I've done it, or way small amounts, and that cake lasts a VERY long time, lol. (And no way could you get a non-LCHFer to eat it!)

Just to remind - your body needs to 'run' on something regarding fuel for energy. If it's not running on glucose, or little of it (ie if you are getting your blood glucose down), then it will run on fat. You need some form of energy! Otherwise you won't get up out of bed, let alone off the sofa. Protein is the building blocks macronutrient. Hugely important, but dependent on how much physical activity you engage in/muscle growth, and I would say - genetics. (Genetics is all important re your body type, and what kind of nutrition you need to feed it, is my way of seeing it.)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I’m a little concerned about fats ….im not sure if there’s a limit on good and saturated fats per day! ….
All you need is enough fat to replace the fuel you were previousl getting from carbs, and this amount is essentially specific to your energy requirements - @AloeSvea has explained it very nicely.

ETA I often though that the High Fat part of LCHF should actually be "Low Carb Normal Fat" but I've since seen it described here on the forum as "Low Carb ENOUGH Fat" which I believe is a far more accurate definition.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All you need is enough fat to replace the fuel you were previousl getting from carbs, and this amount is essentially specific to your energy requirements - @AloeSvea has explained it very nicely.

ETA I often though that the High Fat part of LCHF should actually be "Low Carb Normal Fat" but I've since seen it described here on the forum as "Low Carb ENOUGH Fat" which I believe is a far more accurate definition.
Recent science has shown that the brain needs Omega-3 oils as an essential nutrient and it is one we do not make for ourselves. We need to consume sufficient Omega-3 fat but the modern diet is primarily Omega -6 with very little Omega -3.