Managing Diabetes And Work

Brie912

Hi, I was diagnosed with T2 a couple of weeks ago with Hba1c of 98. Bit of a shock because it was the best I'd been feeling for years. I started a low carb diet straight away and it made me feel tired. My BG readings went down from about 15 to between 5-9. I've also started metformin and the tiredness has got worse. In addition, my anxiety has been playing up, which has made it hard to get to sleep some nights. I work 13 hour shifts in a physical job. Yesterday I was really struggling and it was affecting my work and my boss noticed. Fortunately I have a great team who helped me out, but it's not fair to them if I can't give 100%. Normally after working 2 full days in a row I'm knackered, but yesterday I was so exhausted I almost felt drunk. Even last week after working just 8 hours I came home and went straight to bed at 5pm, forgot to eat and slept for about 15 hours.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to make myself less tired? Do I need to talk to my boss about reducing my hours? The rota is already finalised for the next 6 weeks. I also don't want to tell people about my diabetes. I haven't told anyone, except on this forum. Seeing my diabetes nurse this afternoon. Thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you reduced your carbs did you stop eating low fat foods?
I think that a lot of people think they are doing the best thing for their health by sticking to low fat - but you need to be running on fats for the energy.
Try using a splash of cream in your coffee, eating chicken thighs (roasted on a rack until the skin is crispy) rather than chicken fillets, beef casserole, pork chops and the like - so that you have the fuel you need.
Do be sure to have salt - low carb foods tend to be unprocessed and that also cuts out a lot of salt, and enough water too.
Usually eating low carb with high fat give a lot more energy, though this heat has been rather difficult.

Reactions: Prem51

Brie912

Thanks, I think the heat may be contributing somewhat. I drink a lot of water on my breaks but we're not allowed to keep water at the nurses station. I've been trying to eat things with high in fat. For breakfast I've been having berries with full fat greek yoghurt. And I've made Almost bounty bars with loads of coconut, dark chocolate and cream. But I'm vegetarian and lots of veggie products are low in fat. I've noticed I feel worse when my BG is less than 6.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - you will not be used to normal levels of BG yet I suspect - but as a vegetarian you are going to be finding it difficult getting enough nutrition in a low carb form.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed with T2 a couple of weeks ago with Hba1c of 98. Bit of a shock because it was the best I'd been feeling for years. I started a low carb diet straight away and it made me feel tired. My BG readings went down from about 15 to between 5-9. I've also started metformin and the tiredness has got worse. In addition, my anxiety has been playing up, which has made it hard to get to sleep some nights. I work 13 hour shifts in a physical job. Yesterday I was really struggling and it was affecting my work and my boss noticed. Fortunately I have a great team who helped me out, but it's not fair to them if I can't give 100%. Normally after working 2 full days in a row I'm knackered, but yesterday I was so exhausted I almost felt drunk. Even last week after working just 8 hours I came home and went straight to bed at 5pm, forgot to eat and slept for about 15 hours.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to make myself less tired? Do I need to talk to my boss about reducing my hours? The rota is already finalised for the next 6 weeks. I also don't want to tell people about my diabetes. I haven't told anyone, except on this forum. Seeing my diabetes nurse this afternoon. Thanks.
I sympathize with you.
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and have suffered terribly with exhaustion, I also work long days.
I don't know if it's the warm weather the low carb diet or the the type 2 diabetes that is causing it. I have managed to reduce my BG readings and I am taking metformin too but the exhaustion is still there.
Good luck

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your body is used to running on high sugar levels - it will take a few weeks for it to adjust.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there something I can do to make myself less tired?
Do make sure you are eating plenty of calories from protein and fat. As others have said, it is usual to feel temporarily less well after lowering one's carb intake and bg. But on top of that, I went on feeling weak for ages until I realised that I just wasn't eating enough calories, now I wasn't eating fruit, in particular.

From your pseudo, I guess you like cheese? I eat lots as it is so convenient and portable and is one of the low carb options that doesn't have to be cooked! If you check the labels you will find that there is a big difference in carb content between various cheeses, ranging from almost nil in some full fat Cheddar and in some Edam and Gouda to much more in cream or cottage cheese. For yoghurt, 5% fat Fage Greek yoghurt is about the lowest carb and utterly delicious!

Suffolk gal

I'm also veggie and was diagnosed T2 a couple of weeks ago. I'm struggling to know what I can eat, so this thread has been helpful. I too am feeling totally shattered and struggling to do a full days work.
Good luck Brie, hope you're soon feeling better.