Marrakesh

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Flights and hotel sorted, for a quick week there in February.

Some interesting food it seems, fresh bread and couscous, lamb, mediterranean fruits and vegetable, sweet mint tea,

On further looking, even breakfast seems to consist of some form of pastie.
Honey soaked pastry seems to be everywhere as well.

And we thought food out in the UK was high carb!

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The honey soaked pastries were delicious when we were there, but I wasn't diabetic at the time. The cakes are particularly sweet and sticky.
Enjoy the atmosphere, it's tremendous, but if you venture in the souks without a guide you'll never be seen again. ;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's the bit I'm looking forward to most!
I even haggle in Sainsburys.

Reactions: Freema

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A pleasing experience with the NHS again.

tetanus
typhoid
hepatitis A

vaccinations today.

I must admit, I was expecting to have to pay, but all these, (and cholera) and the boosters, are free from the NHS apparently.

Worth knowing for anyone else travelling.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I was expecting to have to pay, but all these, (and cholera) and the boosters, are free from the NHS apparently.
I seem to remember that you don't pay for jabs, which protect you from things you could get in the UK (eg tetanus), nor do you pay to be protected from diseases, which you could catch abroad and then bring back with you and pass on to the local population eg cholera. So you have to buy your own malaria tablets, because you get malaria from a foreign mosquito and can't directly pass it on to someone back home (unless you bring a carefully nurtured mozzy back in a jam jar!)
But, yes, I do agree, it's amazing what you can get free, simply to enable you to go on foreign holidays.
Sally

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I seem to remember that you don't pay for jabs, which protect you from things you could get in the UK (eg tetanus), nor do you pay to be protected from diseases, which you could catch abroad and then bring back with you and pass on to the local population eg cholera. So you have to buy your own malaria tablets, because you get malaria from a foreign mosquito and can't directly pass it on to someone back home (unless you bring a carefully nurtured mozzy back in a jam jar!)
But, yes, I do agree, it's amazing what you can get free, simply to enable you to go on foreign holidays.
Sally

Yes, can't complain can you.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, it's an interesting place.

If you low carb, don't go.
Breakfast was bread, flat bread, honey covered croissants, and boiled eggs.
Butter coffee, milk etc.

Any meal out was a tagine, heavy on the veg and potatoes.
Or couscous.
Barbecued fish, served with a lot of bread.
Seafood paella.
Kebabs, served with rice or chips.
Everything was preceded by an enormous basket of bread and olives.
Snacks were bread, and bowls of chick peas, beans, or lentils.
Or bread and honey.
McDonald's if you fancied one.
No cutlery particularly, the bread was used to scoop the food up with.
Tea was served with sugar, admittedly usually in a side bowl, so I could pass on it.

And a lot of walking, and sightseeing.

I'll definitely be going back.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you low carb, don't go.

I'll guess what you really mean is .. if you low carb you may have slightly less choice.
I'd be fine wth eggs, fish, kebabs, olives and even maccy D's
I'd bet there was some salad too..
So nice to have you back.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved it in Morocco, was in Rabat last time out, not so touristy. I seem to find that the many additional miles I cover negates the extra carbs no matter where I am.
If you want a high fat holiday try the Tarn or Gascony region of France. You get Duck with your Duck

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'll guess what you really mean is .. if you low carb you may have slightly less choice.
I'd be fine wth eggs, fish, kebabs, olives and even maccy D's
I'd bet there was some salad too..
So nice to have you back.

No.
If you low carb, you have no choice.
Unless you stay in an english speaking hotel, that will prepare a bespoke meal for you, or you are very good in french or arabic.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I loved it in Morocco, was in Rabat last time out, not so touristy. I seem to find that the many additional miles I cover negates the extra carbs no matter where I am.
If you want a high fat holiday try the Tarn or Gascony region of France. You get Duck with your Duck

Marrakesh is a caricature of a town, I went to Agadir for a day, which is much more european.
But with the same food as Marrakesh.