Med Students given CGM’s to wear for a month: changed their views on nutrition!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a good experiment!
All set up to make them curious about nutrition, and it seems it works.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I liked this section of the article
"Drawing from students’ open responses, students reported that dietary advice provided to patients is typically “crude,” “cookie-cutter,” “surface level,” “inadequate,” and “prescriptive and not individualized,” and that current standard of advice focused on energy balance and “calories in – calories out” is “oversimplified” and “misleading,” for patients. No students reported satisfaction for the state of nutrition in healthcare."

Nice to see Harvard actually doing a simple sensible proof of concept study. Some of their other nutrition research has been suspect in the past. I hope PHC have a copy of the article. Dr Unwin may be interested in it too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
That is a fascinating exercise. And an interesting side note : 9/13 were deficient in vitamin D. Is that because nedical students have no time to go outside in the sun, or a reflection that vitamin D deficinecy is a much more serious problem than I realised....?

Edited to add @finzi1966 thanks very much for sharing this.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a fascinating exercise. And an interesting side note : 9/13 were deficient in vitamin D. Is that because nedical students have no time to go outside in the sun, or a reflection that vitamin D deficinecy is a much more serious problem than I realised....?

Edited to add @finzi1966 thanks very much for sharing this.
How many of us get a D3 test? Its not on my record. Who amongst us knows? And who out there in Jo Public Land gets tested? And don't forget, D3 needs K2 and Vit C to be any good.
Again, Harvard is my chosen source tonight
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-d/

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
How many of us get a D3 test? Its not on my record.
I got one from my GP is Australia, I have to pay privately for the same test in New Zealand.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got one from my GP is Australia, I have to pay privately for the same test in New Zealand.
I have had several D3 tests here in Australia that were bulk billed by the local pathology lab, to get one now costs money.

I take 2x1000iu capsues each day, as I did not get out in the sun enough when I was working.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We might be able to get one on the NHS, but the triage process is quite a hurdle.
https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/ou...tests-and-investigations/25-hydroxyvitamin-d/

My GP refused one for my wife who was housebound, but did prescibe a supplement for her. I was refused the test when I enquired, because I am not bedbound (yet). I am also not eligible for supplementation.

PS supplementation can lead to overdose, which can be fatal apparently.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like Dr Robert Cywes was involved. In a recent podcast he told how his weight had soared during his medical training, due to long hours, lack of time to exercise, shop or cook, foods available etc
Seems like little has changed in the 20+ years since he trained
Good idea though, hopefully it will be repeated

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of us get a D3 test? Its not on my record. Who amongst us knows? And who out there in Jo Public Land gets tested?
I got mine tested when still in Jo Public Land because of a rather bad depression. It was tested again a year later, along with the blood draw diagnosing diabetes

upload_2022-8-18_0-6-1.png

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems many of whom that are tested have less than optimal levels (NOT the same thing a lab reference ranges) for vit D the same as many other levels. The U.K. usually use nmol and the USA ng
C7650D4E-C774-4E43-AB5E-130AB5FA2EFC.jpeg

andromache

We might be able to get one on the NHS, but the triage process is quite a hurdle.
https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/ou...tests-and-investigations/25-hydroxyvitamin-d/

My GP refused one for my wife who was housebound, but did prescibe a supplement for her. I was refused the test when I enquired, because I am not bedbound (yet). I am also not eligible for supplementation.

PS supplementation can lead to overdose, which can be fatal apparently.
I had a test in hospital years ago and recently asked the GP for another but was refused.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally buy Vit D tests from NHS Trust Birmingham at a cost of £29. Other trusts do the tests too.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying not to be sexist, but I do feel I am at a disadvantage in this. It seems that if there is a suspicion of osteoporosis then the tests are on the NHS, and that condition does have a gender bias. There is also an ageist aspect to the availability of tests on the NHS.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if this has been posted already but this is a really encouraging (although small) study where medical students at Harvard were given CGMs to wear and are reported as saying that it has radically changed their views of nutrition education, particularly the emphasis on carbs in the American diet.

https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/CXUGZCTWJCVZ2ANDVGA6/full
Great study! @bulkbiker had posted it here, but this way more people got to see it!

The author, Nick Norwitz is an interesting guy with his own health journey using a ketogenic diet. He’s very active on Twitter and Clubhouse and well worth a follow.

Editing to say I see that @Ronancastled had already mentioned Bulkbiker’s post.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many of us get a D3 test?
I’ve had a few as part of the diagnostic process and follow up for Long Covid. My levels are excellent - above the top end of the somewhat conservative NHS range. The last one came in at 237 nMol/L

Reactions: jjraak

andromache

I am trying not to be sexist, but I do feel I am at a disadvantage in this. It seems that if there is a suspicion of osteoporosis then the tests are on the NHS, and that condition does have a gender bias. There is also an ageist aspect to the availability of tests on the NHS.
Osteoporosis has a gender bias insofar as it is women who are more likely to get it. As someone with osteopenia, I assure you that this is not a gender advantage! You chaps are welcome to it!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Osteoporosis has a gender bias insofar as it is women who are more likely to get it. As someone with osteopenia, I assure you that this is not a gender advantage! You chaps are welcome to it!
I don't see many men posting Vit D test results.