Medical Exemption - Prescriptions Charge

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Perhaps in the five years the exemption card lasts they will find a cure and we will have to start paying for our prescriptions again , I bet there will be some who moan about that .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mark the Spark I suspect that you started with diabetes as a child, when you were eligible for free prescriptions. Personally I believe you should have received a letter when you turned 18 alerting you to the new adult requirement. Without that how would you know. Diagnosed at 54, the hospital team gave me the initial paperwork and I kept up to date. Now beyond 60 it’s done anyway. What’s amazing is it’s taken them all these years to catch up with you. Showing that there must be widespread fraud occurring every day. (Not you obviously)
This is a fair assessment on the situation.
I was diagnosed as a child & led to believe it was a “given” when I hit 18? Due to the nature of my condition & prescription (insulin & wot not.) as a matter of course encouraged/directed to tick the exempt box on the paperwork by the chemist.

I went on for years like this till I saw a topic on this forum 10 years ago? (Correction. 8 years back. My second card expires in 26.)

Funny enough. About the same time as my first application. I noticed a sign in the chemist notifying the stance on exemption certs.
& how much the NHS looses on fraudulent claims?

It’s an easy mistake to make. I can’t work out why the exempt certs aren’t flagged & issued automatically (with the yearly med reviews?) then issued a little like bank cards…?

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
The Form to fill in at the GP is the Form FP92A - they then sign and send it off.

You need to do this every 4 years (which is odd as its unlikely you'll ever 'not' be a T1...but there you go...)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started off with fairly small thickish paper/thin card certificates, which then moved to plastic card type ones. Now it's to be a double sided paper one, (talk about full circle but a far larger size) prior to going digital. I just show it to the chemist when I get a new one, and they note the expiry date.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Didn't you know "we're just 5 years from a cure"? :facepalm:
Yeah so I heard , I also heard that Lord Lucan is riding Shergar down Princess Street in Edinburgh

• Funny
Reactions: EllieM and ElenaP

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started off with fairly small thickish paper/thin card certificates, which then moved to plastic card type ones. Now it's to be a double sided paper one, (talk about full circle but a far larger size) prior to going digital. I just show it to the chemist when I get a new one, and they note the expiry date.
Both of mine have been plastic "credit cards"

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Both of mine have been plastic "credit cards"
I've been diabetic for nearly 60 years, so have had quite a few exemption certificates/cards. The last 2 have been 'credit cards' like you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't you know "we're just 5 years from a cure"? :facepalm:
I heard it was 10? According to what I read on New scientist & “Tomorrow’ world.” TM tended to cite it as a pump. I got a mobile phone they predicted! Still no pump.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think the reason I don’t have one is prescriptions are free in Scotland

Wotami

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been T1 for 36 years and still waiting for a cure, but alas, I've come to the conclusion that the big drug companies etc etc make billions from us diabetics worldwide, so why would they spend loads on finding a cure. Probably just spend the bare minimum on research etc and that's it.

Reactions: Mark the Spark

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Unfortunately Wotami you are probably right , that's the world we live in .

Reactions: Wotami

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been T1 for 36 years and still waiting for a cure, but alas, I've come to the conclusion that the big drug companies etc etc make billions from us diabetics worldwide, so why would they spend loads on finding a cure. Probably just spend the bare minimum on research etc and that's i

I've been T1 for 36 years and still waiting for a cure, but alas, I've come to the conclusion that the big drug companies etc etc make billions from us diabetics worldwide, so why would they spend loads on finding a cure. Probably just spend the bare minimum on research etc and that's it.
Nearly 44 years for me and still waiting, I agree diabetes is too much of a cash cow

Reactions: jaywak and Wotami

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just looked at my card, and it expired in 2022! Oops. ASDA never ask for it, but I had better get a new one...

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a Type 2 diabetic for 34 years and I have always had a medical exception certificate and I got that when I turned 17 and I have never had a penalty for none payment and I am always making sure that I change my certificate well in advance before my old one runs out and I know a few people that have been done by the NHS for this and they are now either in prison for fraud or had a massive fine and I don't know what they might do to you but that is why didn't you check with the pharmacy as they are the ones who can advise you and it's not your doctor that does the certificate but they fill in the form to advise the NHS that you have diabetes and that you can be exempt from paying but that's all the doctor does other than that they have no idea what will happen next and when it's sent off you receive it in the post a week or so later but it's up to you to get it sorted and you only and if you don't you pay for the consequences for doing nothing for how ever long it has been

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Ditto.

Well, the last 2 times I actually knew about this & applied…

My last one issues about 8 months ago is card

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are all cards now the same size as a credit card so that you can place in with your bank cards

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are all cards now the same size as a credit card so that you can place in with your bank cards
They have been a credit card size since I was diagnosed 20 years ago.
It surprised me when I received my first "certificate" as I was expecting a piece of A4 paper.