medication + blood pressure reading

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Took my "old" blood pressure meter back to the Medical Centre this morning and have tested the new one. I also have my tablets which I got a few days ago from the chemist Simvastatin and Metaformin. I am going to start taking the tablets on Monday. The only other thing I am taking is a self imposed diet which I have stuck to rigorously. I haven't included any foods which I don`t normally take or like such as cheese, yogurt, bacon, chicken (all birds) tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce. What I have done is cut down on the foods I do like and cut some of them out all together. My question to other members would be, now that I have my own Omro M2, should I continue taking pressure readings everyday or would it vary from person to person? Cheers Kenny

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting to see the foods you are not including as they are probably most of my staples.. so what are you eating (or planning to)?
Are you up to speed on the side effect of statins and whether they are any good for you? Might be worth reading the many threads on this forum (put "statins" in the search box) before starting.
Are you recording your BP readings along with your bloods, assuming you are measuring those of course.
I would imagine its up to you how often you take them but I would think that daily would be a bit over the top.. I just take mine every so often when I remember.

Reactions: dbr10 and Freema

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hello and welcome back Kenny!

My thoughts are:
BP is very dynamic, it will never always be exactly the same, so don't expect it, to usurp disappointment.
Targets are well publicised, about 140/90 initially, then about 130/80. Sometimes takes a while, and that can be the safest way. The numbers achieved are balanced against negative effects, such as becoming dizzy on standing.
Prepare just as @Bluetit1802 has explained in you previous post; I would advise putting on the cuff before the "little rest" time, and try to get the cuff on flat clothing, not a rolled cuff for instance.
Frequency, alternate weeks of recording BP at same time of day - before pills one week, pm's next week, then 2 maybe 3 times a day for a week. You need to fit it around your life style, don't let it dominate!
Don't record 25th & 26th December!!
Hope this may help a little.

Reactions: Freema

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting to see the foods you are not including as they are probably most of my staples.. so what are you eating (or planning to)?
Are you up to speed on the side effect of statins and whether they are any good for you? Might be worth reading the many threads on this forum (put "statins" in the search box) before starting.
Are you recording your BP readings along with your bloods, assuming you are measuring those of course.
I would imagine its up to you how often you take them but I would think that daily would be a bit over the top.. I just take mine every so often when I remember.

I do not yet have a blood glucose meter so I can only record my blood pressure at the moment. Getting a blood glucose meter quite soon though. Foods I eat are potatoes, eggs, porridge, brown bread, cream crackers, Ritz crackers, fish (not shallow or deep fried) tinned pears/peaches, vegetable stews, Irish stews, beetroot juice, cayenne pepper. I will check up on any side effects of the tablets before starting to use them. Of course side effects can vary from person to person Kenny

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome back Kenny!

My thoughts are:
BP is very dynamic, it will never always be exactly the same, so don't expect it, to usurp disappointment.
Targets are well publicised, about 140/90 initially, then about 130/80. Sometimes takes a while, and that can be the safest way. The numbers achieved are balanced against negative effects, such as becoming dizzy on standing.
Prepare just as @Bluetit1802 has explained in you previous post; I would advise putting on the cuff before the "little rest" time, and try to get the cuff on flat clothing, not a rolled cuff for instance.
Frequency, alternate weeks of recording BP at same time of day - before pills one week, pm's next week, then 2 maybe 3 times a day for a week. You need to fit it around your life style, don't let it dominate!
Don't record 25th & 26th December!!
Hope this may help a little.
Thanks for your reply. I always make sure the cuff is on bare skin. I think putting it over clothing could maybe give a false reading. you mentioned the 25th/26th December. On the 23rd December I will be going up to Oban till the 27th December. I will be taking no measurements or medication during that period :) Kenny

Reactions: Freema and Struma

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not yet have a blood glucose meter so I can only record my blood pressure at the moment. Getting a blood glucose meter quite soon though. Foods I eat are potatoes, eggs, porridge, brown bread, cream crackers, Ritz crackers, fish (not shallow or deep fried) tinned pears/peaches, vegetable stews, Irish stews, beetroot juice, cayenne pepper. I will check up on any side effects of the tablets before starting to use them. Of course side effects can vary from person to person Kenny
Wow that's a pretty high carb diet.. pretty sure my bloods would be very high if I ate that..maybe you can give us some results once you get your glucose meter.

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, on paper it does look high but the portions are very small. I am combining it with fasting and exercise. Mainly walking. When I first got diagnosed I was 14.8 stones and am now down to 13.9. so I am reasonably happy with this

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I self monitor my BP also, 5 times a day to get an average, which my Doc records. I suffer badly from White coat Syndrome. BP slowly coming down with all the tablets I'm on.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My question to other members would be, now that I have my own Omro M2, should I continue taking pressure readings everyday or would it vary from person to person? Cheers Kenny

The answer to the question would depend on what your Dr had to say about the results in your bp diary (you mentioned in your previous thread that you had bp monitor on loan for a week and had to keep a diary).

If you've not heard anything back from them regarding your bp readings then chase it up next week.

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The answer to the question would depend on what your Dr had to say about the results in your bp diary (you mentioned in your previous thread that you had bp monitor on loan for a week and had to keep a diary).

If you've not heard anything back from them regarding your bp readings then chase it up next week.

I only handed in the BP results on Friday so it will be a few days before I hear anything. In the meantime I will take the view that no news is good news

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Obviously provide whatever BP readings the doctor wants but after that unless otherwise requested I would only take occasional readings. I bought my own BP meter years ago so use it from time to time. Your diet is very carb-oriented but as you say the portions are small. I would aim for something like 150gm/day total carbs or less and see what the Glucose meter says when you get it. I would try to tweak the diet so it includes more protein and fat. The Simvastatin has little to do with diabetes and unless your cholesterol lipids ratios are bad and have other risks you need to consider their pros and cons. I do take them as I have some heart issues and I have no side effects but the cardio said to me they are not needed if your risk profile is low and/or you get muscle aches with them.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I self monitor my BP now due to my spasm episodes I get because they pretty much put me in hypertensive crisis which could mean I get a stroke or whatever. But also recently I've been told I now have to test every morning before work and I have to take my BP monitor with me to work as well. But everyone seems to have a different opinion on how often to test. I had an ER doc tell me I'm testing too much and I should only test once a month. I just gave her a funny look and said I'm sorry but you don't know my health conditions. So in answer to your question, I'd say it would vary person to person. It depends on what your doc has asked you to do. If you have some issues happening with your BP that you are monitoring then you would naturally test more often. I test most days. When I'm sick I test a few times per day depending on what my initial BP reading was. Eg. if it was high then I'm monitoring if my BP is coming down or not. If it doesn't and my treatment isn't working, plus it tells me my heart rate is too high then I know I have to get to emergency room. I drove myself to ER once and they wouldn't let me go as nothing they gave me got my BP to go down. It eventually dropped to 169/89 or something from memory and they let me go home then. Sorry I'm probably rambling a bit. lol. But you get the picture.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
On the 23rd December I will be going up to Oban till the 27th December. I will be taking no measurements or medication during that period

Is there a reason for that? At least not taking them will not affect BP. Although in some ways, like blood glucose, it's the spikes in BP that do the damage. Are you on any medication for BP?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Two days ago my grandson who is 21 asked me out of the blue to check his BP it was 144/77. I heading toward if not hypertensive checked it again last night and it was 147/68 .

In the last few months he has gone from about 12St to 16St there is diabetes on both our side and his fathers side of the family.
He has deliberately gained weight as he is into body building.

I am trying to get him to see his doctor and have told him get rid of that extra weight but he is almost as stubborn as me and will not listen ho hum.

I check my BP now about once a week at least as I have a history of hypertension.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Two days ago my grandson who is 21 asked me out of the blue to check his BP it was 144/77. I heading toward if not hypertensive checked it again last night and it was 147/68 .

In the last few months he has gone from about 12St to 16St there is diabetes on both our side and his fathers side of the family.
He has deliberately gained weight as he is into body building.

I am trying to get him to see his doctor and have told him get rid of that extra weight but he is almost as stubborn as me and will not listen ho hum.

I check my BP now about once a week at least as I have a history of hypertension.

I remember doing weight training myself and it definitely puts your BP up with that strain of lifting, etc. But I agree with you it sounds like your grandson needs to see his GP.

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there a reason for that? At least not taking them will not affect BP. Although in some ways, like blood glucose, it's the spikes in BP that do the damage. Are you on any medication for BP?
not yet on medication for blood pressure but surgery wants me to start. Have an appointment for Friday 16th December.I have

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow that's a pretty high carb diet.. pretty sure my bloods would be very high if I ate that..maybe you can give us some results once you get your glucose meter.
My first and only glucose reading was 4.9mmol/L and the was after a meal of 3 medium sized potatoes and a piece of cod in breadcrumbs Kenny

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2

They have given me tablets but have told me not to take them till Monday when they will phone to give me the go ahead,or not

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones