Medication for a prediabetic?

Florriew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per my HbA1c results I am prediabetic. I have not been given the exact number but my doctor's surgery is having their pharmacist phone me next week. I have been losing some weight and would prefer to see how this might lower my HbA1c level first before taking any diabetes medication, especially since I do not have diabetes.

Is it customary to be told to take medication if you fall in the prediabetic range please?

Florriew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to clarify, I am not on any medication for diabetes and never have been.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
prediabetes doesn’t get medicated in the uk. Even early stages of diagnosed type 2 usually gets at least a trial of lifestyle change first. (Losing weight, reducing carbs, moving more)

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Pipp

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While losing weight is seen as a way to reduce HbA1c levels even the low calories diets actually reduce carbs. I found just concentrating on reducing carbs (not just sugar) the best way.

Reactions: Poppy'sMum and HSSS

Florriew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While losing weight is seen as a way to reduce HbA1c levels even the low calories diets actually reduce carbs. I found just concentrating on reducing carbs (not just sugar) the best way.
That's good advice. Thank you.

Florriew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
prediabetes doesn’t get medicated in the uk. Even early stages of diagnosed type 2 usually gets at least a trial of lifestyle change first. (Losing weight, reducing carbs, moving more)
That's good to know. I don't want to take medication if possible and especially if I am not diabetic.