medication

davis554

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
going for my check ups and being made to feel I'm not being listened to as I keep getting negative responses
I have been put back on metformin, with a low dose. I have had it before. I was getting a upset tummy, within a couple of days of starting to taking it I start to get the runs, yet its happening again and worried about telling the doctors as they say nothing to worry about. Which means I feel like I can not have a life outside my house just in case I need the toilet, any advice please.
Janice a worried diabetic

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Have you been given the Slow Release (SR) version?

If not, ask for it as many find it easier to tolerate. Unfortunately, some people cannot cope with Metformin at all.

Sunny_ Sniper

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Janice.

I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of weeks ago and put straight on Metformin. Within a couple of days I had the same reaction as you described, but it was quickly sorted out by taking Imodium (well the Wilkinson's equivalent).

It's still not perfect, but the dihorrea has stopped.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got the runs so bad I ended up in the hospital getting rehydrated by IV. Switched to ER version and I am fine now. If it is affecting your life talk to your doctor about switching to ER.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, switch to the SR version if the problems don't clear within a couple of weeks.