Medication

Shell2809

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Well I’ve not been very good at dieting as I’ve not long given up smoking so finding it hard so the doctor has put me on metformin for a few months till I’m ready to start dieting again

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Well I’ve not been very good at dieting as I’ve not long given up smoking so finding it hard so the doctor has put me on metformin for a few months till I’m ready to start dieting again
Well done on the giving up smoking, that's no small feat!

What kind of diet have you been trying to follow?
Can we help you find alternatives to the foods you are craving that will be friendlier to your blood glucose?

Reactions: MissMuffett

Shell2809

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the giving up smoking, that's no small feat!

What kind of diet have you been trying to follow?
Can we help you find alternatives to the foods you are craving that will be friendlier to your blood glucose?
I was told to have smaller meals but I’ve been craving sweet things

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant on quitting the smoking It’s not the size of the meals you eat but the amount of carbohydrates that you need to watch. If you’re not eating to satiety on protein and fat then the cravings will kick in. Search diet tips on this website and on the forum to get ideas of what is good to eat. I have beef, lamb, chicken thighs (including the crispy skin) eggs, double cream in my coffee. Leafy green veg and as a treat blueberries or raspberries with yogurt. Stay away from bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. My alternative if I make a chicken curry is cauliflower rice, which you can make yourself by grating the florets or you can by it already done from the supermarket. Good luck

BorisP

good job on quitting smoking. now quit sugar! all kinds of it. from processed/refined to pure sugar. everyone is different but we can all agree that sugar and too many carbs is always the problem. and also no “cheat days” as you are only confusing your damaged endocrine system.
small meals - yes, but more important is to consume less than 30carbs per meal and not more than 100 per day (a single thin slice of bread has 10+ grams of carbs that turn to BG rather quickly) and limit your carbs from there. I eat potatoes (just a single one, baked or otherwise and it doesn’t spike anything) so test what’s good for you.
calculate your carbs in fruits and have some of those. yogurt (unsweetened and full fat) with berries tastes the same as any sugary treat. (yogurt has 5g of sugar per 100ml and berries are great at regulating BG levels)
I don’t know your statistics but usually when cravings kick in it is good to get a move on (walk, run, climb stairs, whatever) and drink water. that should teach your belly that the food is already stored as fat and it should stop asking for more of it.
it’s a hard fight, I kid you not, but you can win if you try hard enough.
Mind over sugar!